Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a small tapestry 12x12 that I inherited from my uncle…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small tapestry 12x12 that I inherited from my uncle whose name was Thomas Wall. He's from Great Britain and his family name goes way back. Anyway the tapestry is of St. Charles Borromeo. On the back is/was a piece of almost black paper that was hard to read but it said this "presented to the reverend james oswald wall by the earl of effingham at Tuamore Hall(sp?) which burned down. The date is around 1767 according to the paper. The piece shows borromeo and has gold fiber running through it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have a small tapestry 12x12 that I inherited from my uncle whose name was Thomas Wall. He's from Great Britain and his family name goes way back. Anyway the tapestry is of St. Charles Borromeo. On the back is/was a piece of almost black paper that was hard to read but it said this "presented to the reverend james oswald wall by the earl of effingham at Tuamore Hall(sp?) which burned down. The date is around 1767 according to the paper. The piece shows borromeo and has gold fiber running through it. oh yea it's from Banbury England which I've researched extensively to confirm what's written

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
3/17/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you give me the address to send the photo to??

Hi. If you're unable to use the methods I gave you ("attach file" or a paper clip icon), you can send them to an email as a last resort. You can email them to *****@******.***. Tell them that you're trying to get pictures to DianaF in Antiques and they'll forward them to me. It's works best if you send them from the same email address you used when you signed up. It might take a few hours, but I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get them.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I sent it to that address and cc to you Diana F

Thanks! They should forward it to me. It can take up to entire day, but I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get them. Thank you again.

~Diana

Hi. I got your pictures. Thank you!

.

It's more of a needlework or needlepoint panel than what you think of with a traditional tapestry. I'm always amazed at what these artisans were able to achieve back then with hand spun threads and vegetable dyes. It's a well done piece. You can see the color contrast in the folds of the clothing, detailing in the hand and face and even a slight shine on the halo. The artist was very good.

.

Given the size, one like that would be worth a few hundred, but you have a few other aspects in your favor.

.

I was able to do a bit of searching on both Reverend Wall and the Earl of Effingham that lines up with the date of 1767. I did find a few historical references to a Reverend Thomas Wall in a few different religious texts. I don't know if that's your ancestor, but it definitely leads credence to the historical significance of the piece.

.

Given the historical element, it should be worth about $800 to $1000. I don't know if you're looking to insure it or not, but the insurance value would be $1400. Given your personal history with it, that's something you should know because, sadly, anything can happen.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Charish are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 24 days ago

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer. Is there a problem with my answer or anything else I can help with? I welcome any and all feedback.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 17 days ago

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser