Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Full steam locomotive that was hand built by my…

I have a Full...

I have a Full steam locomotive that was hand built by my grandfather, back in the 40's with lots of articles about him and his locomotives. I am looking for an appraisal on it and to find a possible buyer for it. Can you help with this?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I can send pictures if it would help.

3/17/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pappys Train 448 (6).JPG Remove
Pappys Train 448 (3).JPG Remove
Pappys Train 448 (5).JPG Remove
Pappys Train 448 (8).JPG Remove
Pappys Train 448 (6).JPGPappys...JPGPappys Train 448 (3).JPGPappys...JPGPappys Train 448 (5).JPGPappys...JPGPappys Train 448 (8).JPGPappys...JPG

Hi. That looks fantastic. It's in amazing condition.

.

Can you tell me what size the locomotive is? How big is the tender?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been waiting for your call !!!! I have been home and NOT yet received your call. I have sent you some pictures, I hope you have looked at.

Hi. I'm sorry but I don't participate in the phone call program. The phone call is an upsale the site offers, not something I sent to to you. The offer came in, but I didn't accept it because I don't participate in phone calls. The offer is open to all other experts though. I'm sorry no one has accepted it. It may just take time for the right expert.

.

If you want me to still help you, it has to be online here through the JustAnswer site.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then can you send my money back for the phone call part of this Appraisal? I will wait for another person to find out the information I am looking for. I would like to find someone who can help me out in this search. Thank You for your time and Honesty.Sincerely: Scott

Hi Scott.

I can help you, I just can't do a phone call. I understand if you want to wait. I can't refund your money because I don't have access to any customer accounts. You'll have to contact customer service for that.

.

You're welcome to contact customer service to discuss any membership changes and charges.

.

You can contact customer service here:

1(###) ###-####/p>

.

Have a nice day.

Diana

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Diana;
The locomotive is about 44 inches in length overall. The tinder is about 16 inches and the engine is about 28 inches in length. It sit's on a track just under 3 inches outside to outside, measuring across the track. If you need any more information about it, I have many articles that have been written about my grandfather and his trains.

Hi Scott. I woudn't mind reading a few articles if you have a few you can send. His train is amazing. Do you know if he built it based on the old engineering kits or if he drew up the plan himself?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Diana;
Sorry I can't send the articles because they are larger than 5MB and will not let me send them. I have many of them though dating back to the 50's and the 70's. I have even gone as far as transferring some of our old family supper 8mm movies to disk, of my Mother and Grandfather ridding one of the other engines he had built. I have many stories of how my father has told me that he built this particular engine, I have.(448). 448 I was told was the first of 5 he built. I also have articials that were written on the tinny generator he was able to get to really function.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Scott. that's okay. It is a limitation we have. Thank you for trying. I love that he had an outdoor track for it.

.

It's a beautiful train. It's reminiscent of the old engineering kits created by companies like Coventry prior to the 1950s. The locomotive itself looks like the kind of steam locomotives that were used from about 1910 to 1950.

.

The detailing is amazing. It looks like a 2-8-4 train. It's a near museum quality piece. The lines, cranks, rods, cylinder, bells, etc. are all highly, accurately depicted. Every detail down the rivets is there. Your grandfather did an amazing job.

.

From what I can see it's in great condition. I just see a bit of paint loss and wear here and there. Overall, it's one of the better examples I've seen. Given the condition, it should be worth about $6,000 to $8,000. I've seen some sell for nearly $10,000.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Charish are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

You might actually consider an auction house like, Heritage or Hawkes, https://www.skinnerinc.com/, or

Dan Morphy Auctions

http://www.morphyauctions.com

2000 N. Reading Road
Denver, PA 17517
United States

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser