Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help. I'm researching this doll for you right now.

Jennifer

Ok I can send more pictures if needed she is signed and is number 12

Thank you. Does she have her original dress, or just the slip?

Jennifer

Oh, and what do you know of her history? Where did you get her, etc.?

She has blue dress and I do not know anything about her ,got her at estate sale
Has open on top of her head

Can you send me a photo of the dress?

Also, I see other marks on the back of her neck. Perhaps a VV on the right, and a number on the left? Can you check those for me?

Unfortunately, from these photos, I am unable to tell if this is an original Marque or a reproduction made from the Marque molds. I am going to opt out and let another appraiser pick up the question.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Ok �� thanks
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

I believe I can help you with your doll, what size is she?

Glenda

She measures I think 19 inches
Goodwill

You found her at the Goodwill?

Ok, let me do some research, I will be right back.

Ok
She has the same body of the older ones

Hello

I am sorry I did not opt out, that was the expert that originally spoke to you.

Yes the bodies on the reproductions were made in the same manner as original.

Here is the information I found on your doll:

.

The Doll Artisan Guild, Ragnhild Margareta Ericson catalogs twenty-five known A. Marque dolls. Stuart Holbrook, the president of Theriault’s (the leading auction firm dealing with dolls and childhood ephemera), also notes there are only about twenty A. Marque dolls in existence.

All the Authentic Original dolls are in private collections.

But, the antique reproductions are also quite collectible, they were made in the early part of the 20thC,.

If you can measure the doll and get me the exact measurement I can get the value

The top of her wig to feet is 19 inches

All Marque dolls are exactly 22” tall. All were made from the same mold and have the same body.

I can get the value of your reproduction doll though, they have a good value.

Glenda

U still checking

Yes

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The A Marque Doll reproduction 19" Doll, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $350.00-425.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $140.00-145.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $425.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $425.00-450.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.

Thank you
Glenda
.