Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have come in possession of a framed painting by 18. I have…

Hi Kim. I have...

Hi Kim. I have come in possession of a framed painting by John 18. I have found out a little on him but wondering if you are able to expand on this and give a rough value of his works. The painting appears to be one of an English fishing port . The tide is out and various fishing boats and row boats are featured. Old english homes are in the background with the sea and gulls. the size is approx 700mm by 550mm. The painting has been around for some time and the frame is a bit shabby but the painting itself appears fine Thanks

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The only other thing is the notation 'Tony 87' written on the back of the frame which may indicate the age of the works

3/16/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is***** no longer works on the site.I will be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

I see you are asking for a rough value for original paintings signed John 18. I will give you an approximate value but if you can send a picture of the piece, I could possibly be more exact. I am assuming that your piece is an original painting.

The following is my complete answer. Please read all of it before rating.

Johnnie '18' Eighteen (1927-1966) Australia
Biographical Information

"Born 28/ 1/1927 England. As many English born people are, my father was passionate about the sea, seafarers and particularly sailing ships. He drew his inspiration from reading tales of the sea in history books.

Three of his highly regarded works are kept at the Russell Cotes Art Gallery & Museum in his home town of Bournemouth England. These works portray the early single handed circumnavigators: Sir Francis Chichester in Gypsy MothIV, Sir Alec Rose in Lively Lady and Sir Robin Knox Johnson in Suhali.

In the late 1960s John Eighteen's work was hung by the Royal Society of Marine Artists in London. This was a time of enormous pride for him.

In 1973 he sailed with his young family to Australia where he continued to draw inspiration from history and produced many wonderful paintings depicting the hard times of early settlement.

Soon recognized as a fine artist for his acute attention to detail his first exhibitions in Australia were a huge success and resulted in many commissions from private buyers and corporations. He illustrated a book jacket and had several of his painting reproduced as prints.He died 24/1/1996 in Australia."

Source: Contributed by his son.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public.
When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I determined an ESTIMATED AUCTION VALUE of 1800-2800 AUD for your piece.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Thanks Doris
I intend to send you photos and size details today
Regards
Gavin

Gavin, there is no hurry at this end. Please use the ADD FILES link to send photos.

Hi Doris
I have attached photos as requested. The size of the painting is 24 by 18 inches. I hope this will assist you but please let me know if you require any further information.
Thanks for your assistance.
Regards
Gavin

Thank you for the excellent photos and information.

It has been several days since I researched the info for your question. Please allow me a bit of time to revisit that resrearch.

Kind regards,

Doris

Correction.. John Eighteen's actual date of death was 1996. This was incorrectly listed on an Australian auction site as 1966.

The notation "Tony 87" on the back is not in the artist's hand writing. It is not possible to know its origin.

Using further research of John Eighteen marine paintings like yours, I determined that his paintings like this have sold for as much as $10,000 USD or 13,000 AUD retail in art galleries.

The same selling information I referenced before applies here as well.

I hope I have helped you.

Kind regards.

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser