Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a post card titled "Feeding the Prisoner" signed by J…

I have a post...

I have a post card titled "Feeding the Prisoner" signed by J H Cocks copyright 1907 by fred c loundsbury. I am trying to find its worth

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

What else do you need

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It's old. was my grandmothers

3/16/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the image.

Please also add a photo of the backside of the postcard.

~Nora

no call. did you receive the image. the back is blank

The call offer is entirely your choice.

Even though the back is blank, I will still please need to see a photo of the backside.

~Nora

did you receive?

Thank you for your images and for your patience.

Technically, this is an Edwardian era decorative color lithograph print and not a postcard. Fred Loundsbury was a publisher who printed decorative wall art as well as postcards. If it were a 1907 postcard, there would be a printed square for where to place the postage stamp and a designated seperate space for the addressee and the note from the sender.

Your print entitled Feeding the Prisoner could sell for $5 - $25 on today's auction market.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thanks thats more info than I had. I have researched the artist but can't find them. would that make a difference? I am not interested in selling just want to know for sure. I know its a print and not original. I just thought i could find something out about the artist too.
the date on it says 1907. it that the date Loundsbury printed it? It is in a old frame too.

The artist of the image was John H. Cocks (1849 - 1938) who was an illustrator and sculptor who was born in New Jersey and resided primarily in Brooklyn, NYC, NY. His illustrations were frequently printed in Harper's Weekly magazine.

The artist of the published print image does not impact the value of this color lithograph print.

Yes, 1907 is when this was published.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora

ok thats interesting. You have been a great deal of help. Now I know. I have always loved this framed picture and she gave it to me before she passed. It's priceless to me :)

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you on your treasured heirloom print.

~Nora

I will defiantly add you to my favorites for future reference. Bye

That is very kind of you, thank you.

~Nora