Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an Eastlake Victorian, step vanity/dresser with

I have an Eastlake...

I have an Eastlake Victorian, step vanity/dresser with mirror and marble tops on each side: mirrored top has candle stands. Piece is believed to be made in the 1800's. I was hoping to get a cash value put on it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

At the top of the dresser in the middle is a small piece of artwork...Victorian era women sitting around a table.

3/16/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Sorry Diana, I can get the picture from my phone to email but I don't know how to send it to you on the Just An Answer website... I did follow the directions but can't do it. Is there an email that I can send it to?
Kathy

Hi Kathy.

There sure is. You can email them to *****@******.***. Tell them that you're trying to get pictures to DianaF in Antiques and they'll forward them to me. It's works best if you send them from the same email address you used when you signed up. It might take a few hours, but I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get them.

Thanks,

Diana

Hi Kathy. I got your pictures. That's perfect. That looks gorgeous.

.

I do have one question, can you describe how your drawers are made? Do the joints look handmade like this?

https://imgur.com/a/Wlktb

.

Or more machine made like this:

https://imgur.com/a/fJqz2

.

or something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/UAhoH

~Diana

The joints do look handmade. I say that because they look like the first picture and they also aren't as symmetrical and perfect as the machine made picture .... although beautifully done.
Kathy

Hi Kathy.

.

That's perfect. Thank you. Handmade dovetailing was used mostly until about 1870 when the strange pin looking joint I posted became more popular. In the 1890s you had the tech advancement to really start creating machined joints, like the other ones. There's overlap, but the joints help narrow down dates.

.

You likely have an Eastlake walnut drop center marble top dresser from about 1870/1880. The top features a painted scene flanked by turned spindles and bordered on the top and bottom by a carved geometric design. The sides feature faux columns and candle stands/shelves.

.

It has 3 white marble slabs; 2 of which are resting on 2 small drawers on either side and 1 larger piece in the center that rests on 2 long locking drawers. The drawer fronts are accented by raised panels. It looks like those panels and other accents were painted a darker color. Often those panels were done with a burled wood to create a stand out, which makes them a little more sought after. It looks like it might have the original porcelain casters too.

.

The dresser looks to be in excellent condition. It looks to be very well taken care of.

.

A piece like that is going to be worth about $1250 to $1500 in a private sale. At auction, you expect about 1/2 that.

.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great night.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser