Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Could you evaluate two items. The purple velvet banner,

Hi Could you evaluate two...
Hi Could you evaluate two items. The purple velvet banner, measures 14x19, and the wooden plaque that measures 7x11. THanks.
3/15/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi! How are you?

.

Is the wooden plaque flat or is it more box like?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its about .5 inches high

That's still fairly flat though. I was wondering if it was like a box, or if it just has the illusion of looking like it's a more dimensional piece. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its not a box, though it does have a 3d effect because the people are a separate piece above the rest of the picture.

That's what I was thinking. =)

Hi.

On your banner, that's a wall hanging. My Hebrew is almost non-existent, so there's no translation for it, but these are typically embroidered with blessings, prayers, etc. It's a wall hanging designed by Nili Sverdlov for Kuzari workshop in Jerusalem. It dates to the later half of the 20th century. It's hand-embroidered on velvet. Most of these were sold as tourist pieces. I found a handful of different designs ranging from wall hangings to matzah covers, etc. all designed by Sverdlov.

.

The prices don't run extremely high, but it does have a great design. It's one of the more ornate I've seen. Given that it should be worth about $35 to $45.

.

The 2nd piece is an Olive wood hand carved sculpture. It's wood block carving depicting the Western Wall (Wailing Wall) in Jerusalem. It's bit like Intarsia art, which is a wood technique that uses various woods to create a sort of mosaic.

.

I found a few. Some are just the wall, others have the praying figures like yours, and some others even have a figure in the forefront.

https://imgur.com/a/0bzw7

The technique is really cool because it showcases an interesting perspective of the wall and then the dimensional quality of the praying figures gives it an extra quality.

.
These date to about the 1950s/1960s. There were made any number of artisans and sold as religious souvenirs. Each one I found had different signatures and some even had stickers from the shops that sold them. That tells me there was probably more than a handful of artisans that made these as neat souvenir art people could bring home.

.

The condition looks great and given the size it should be worth about $50 to $60.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser