Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I recently purchased 4 side chairs with the ball and claw…

I recently purchased 4...

I recently purchased 4 side chairs with the ball and claw feet in the front and Queen Anne style in the back. I am unsure if they are antiques or reproductions and would like someone to tell me what they are and what the value is.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I am unable to match the carving on the chair back to photos online but did see a couch at our local antique shop with the same carvings but they were unable to give me any info on the piece.

3/15/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the images.

Your chairs were produced in the 1930s.

Technically, they a 'vintage' as an antique, by definition is any item 100 years old and older.

This is has a combination of Revival styles incorporated in it, Chippendale, Queen Anne, Rococo and Art Deco.

A fair market value is $75 - $150 per chair.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank-you so much!

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora

Does furniture, such as these chairs, increase by any significant value when they hit the 100 year mark?

Not really.

There really is no equal and exponential growth in value that correlates with the passage of time, that is a myth perpetuated by dealers and unwitting appraisers.

The global economy and collective decor tastes of society at any given time are factors in what predicates 'value'.

I will need you to now please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Thank you again!!

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora