Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting that I inherited from my Aunt who lived in…

I have a painting...

I have a painting that I inherited from my Aunt who lived in Boston Mass.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The painting is of the Matterhorn in Switzerland. Artist name is***** dated 1920. We wanted to know if it might have some value.

3/15/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

this is a copy painting, what was written on back and a enlargement of signature on painting.
how long does this usually take, do I need to stay on-line? will a response be sent to my email

Thank you for the images.

There is a discrepancy.

The front is signed Lauritsen or Lauritsan - the notations on the back states Anders Lauritzen.

As well, the first initial in the signature on the painting does not appear, from the photo, to the letter A.

Please add another image of the signature that shows the first initial from another angle.

~Nora

I will have to make another picture later. Can I come back to this site and add to the information.

Yes of course - no rush. There is not a time limit here. ~Nora

Thank you I will respond this evening

Okay, Sounds good

I did my best to take these in different light. I was very difficult. Hopefully these will help.
untitled (4).pnguntitle...pnguntitled (3).pnguntitle...pnguntitled (2).pnguntitle...pnguntitled.pnguntitled.png

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

I will try again to take more picture. I am not the best photograph . The area on painting is so dark.

The photos here are just what I needed to see and thank you for your patience.

The signature appears to be M. Lauritsen, I tried every letter permutation of possible spellings against databases of known, listed artists and there is not a match to any variant spelling of that surname.

Thus, this is an original painting from 1920 of a mountain vista landscape view by an unlisted, hobbyist artist.

Based on past auction sales of comparables, this could sell for up to $400 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Thank you so much for your help. This was so neat to experience this type of appraisal

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora