Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large collection of glass slides (magic lantern…

Customer Question
I have a large...

I have a large collection of glass slides (magic lantern slides.) But they are not your run of the mill slides. Most of them were taken by a very prominent physician of New York City during the Victorian era. His name was Dr. Edward Payson Fowler and he was one of the founders of the New York City Camera Club as well as being a physician to some of the most prominent and notable citizens of New York. He was a leader in the homeopathic field. The slides are quintessential Victorian era and beautiful. Many shots/scenes of Central Park, New York Public Library under contruction, city scenes, country scenes (he had a large and lovely country home). His name, and his daughter's name are on the slides. His daughter, Louise Fowler Gignoux, was one of the first female attorneys to be admitted to the New York Bar and to practice law. I have much documentation related to the original owers/photographers of the slides including newspaper articles in the New York Times which references their interest in photography, the New York Camera Club, etc. Total there are well over 300 and I would say 200 at least are exceptional. Any thoughts?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

There are some old letters -- dozens and dozens -- somewhat related to the slides as they are of the Gignoux Family -- Louise married Robert Gignoux of Monroe, Orange County, NY...also prominent family as he attended Yale. Not sure what else to say at this point. The slides could use a cleaning but I have not done anything like that with them as I did not want to chance or risk damaging them or affect the original integrity of the slides.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/15/2018
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Are you wanting what the slides would be valued at on today's market as a complete lot say of 200?

No, I thought they would be worth several thousand dollars.

Hello

They are worth that much, I am confused by your reply. I was asking if you are wanting to know what a set of about 200 or more slides would be worth, not that they would be worth 200.00. Is that what you are wanting? As if you were listing them as one lot, not selling individually?

Glenda

Hello

Do you still want these valued? If so can you give me an estimate of how many slides there are?