Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have 3 signed antique bronze sculptures that I can not…

Customer Question
Hi I have 3...

Hi I have 3 signed antique bronze sculptures that I can not find anywhere online. They were very exspensive 20 yrs ago but I would like to know what they are worth now because I’m selling them.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

1- is “Dora Hand” by Elie Hazak it is an ebony western woman holding a fan in one hand and hair pin in the other . She’s about 2 foot tall wearing heels and a mauvish purple skimpy dress and has a black feather boa over her shoulder

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

She has one foot on the circular piece of marble base she is on and the other foot looks to be kicked back on a bottom bar railing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/15/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Thank you for the images, I will look these over for you.
It will take a bit to research and write back, so I'll be back with you a little later.~Rarewares

Elie Hazak (born 1945)

is a listed artist from Jerusalem and now California

known as a sculptor of western subjects. This cold-painted bronze titled

Dora Hand has a current value of $500 to $700 resale based on

recent sales of his work within the past two years.

To sell, try ads on these sites; http://www.masterpieceonline.com, artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com.
Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the five stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answers.

Where did you find that one like that one had sold ? We paid right at $6000 for that many yrs ago.

I understand that but buying years ago and reselling on the secondary market today

are not going to be the same. None (not even the large pieces) of his work sell for that price now.

Where do I find recent sales of his western lady sculptures? Where did you find recent sales? I could only find his animal western pieces?

I have paid access to his recent sales on four different art databases.

the site your talking about was for the same exact statue that I have ? Because he did some white and a few ebony. From my understanding the ebony one is worth more?

Yes, this is called cold painted bronze and not really termed ebony since that is a type of wood.

You can ask whatever price you want for the sculpture and negotiate with the buyer. You can certainly ask $8,000 to $10,000 or best offer and negotiate to a price that you are comfortable with.

My research does show that his work actually sells for ranges that are all under $1000, some $1500 but those are the very large pieces with many figures; the western pieces you mentioned earlier. I have nothing to gain by undervaluing, I can only tell you what I see in front of me as facts. I do hope you understand.