Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only 1 more for your consideration - will be curious what…

For Robert S only1 more...
For Robert S only1 more for your consideration - will be curious what you have to say about this one - 15 1/2 x 12 1/2Photos attachedThank you
1294 (5).jpg1294 (5).jpg1294 (4).jpg1294 (4).jpg1294 (3).jpg1294 (3).jpg1294 (2).jpg1294 (2).jpg1294 (1).jpg1294 (1).jpg
3/15/2018
Lindie-mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Lindie
thank you
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

Got this one too! This looks like where kakiemon came from! The Chinese copying the Japanese, copying the Chinese!

More on this as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Thank you - will be most curious what your expertise has to say on this - I think perhaps a bit older than some of the others sent to you?

Hi Matt,

You're right, this is an earlier one. This beautiful platter dates to the late Kangxi period (1662 - 1722) when this famille rose palette of colors was still in its experimental infancy as indicated, particularly, by the murky color of the magenta or rose for which the palette gets its name. The substance used to create this opaque rose color was lead-arsenate white enamel which, used in varying proportions, allowed a gradation of hues from full saturation to pale pink, thus facilitating a much more convincing shading in the petals of the flowers, for instance.

You'll also notice there's no bright yellow that you see in later famille rose, as the pigment, stannate yellow had not been developed at this point. The transparent iron yellow of earlier wucai (famille verte) would not work in the famille rose palette.

The composition of garden flowers emerging from a gnarly rock with a backdrop of a plum tree in blossom is very similar to what the Japanese call kakiemon, which is both a floral composition and type of color enamel painting (that combines overglaze colors with underglaze blue, similar to famille verte) which they perfected in Arita (sold through the port of Imari) in the mid 1600s.

At this time, the Japanese took advantage of a gap in the Chinese export markets during the forty-odd years of political unrest at the end of the Ming when porcelain exports from the Imperial works at Jingdezhen dwindled away almost to nothing. So the early Qing dynasty artist who painted this platter, was imitating the Japanese kakiemon Arita/Imari of a generation before, which in turn was imitating Chinese Ming famille verte from the Wanli 1573-1620 period. Clear as mud, right!?

• Very fine large Chinese export polychrome porcelain oval platter, dating to the late Kangxi period, circa 1690 - 1720, decorated in an early palette of famille rose enamels, in a style imitating Japanese kakiemon ko-Imari, depicting a scenic of garden flowers emerging from sculptural rocks, a plum tree in blossom emerging from the left and bamboo from the right, the reverse border painted with four Immortal lingzhi mushrooms in rust red. 15-1/2" x 12-1/2"

Auction value: $1,100 - $1,600 Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $3,250.

Hope this is helpful info.

Best wishes,
Robert.

RobertThank you - againThere is a companion bowl to the platter - forgot to send previouslyWill make sure you are happy if you could let me know about this one as wellThank youMatt
1294 (8).jpg1294 (8).jpg1294 (7).jpg1294 (7).jpg1294 (6).jpg1294 (6).jpg1294 (20).jpg1294 (20).jpg1294 (10).jpg1294 (10).jpg1294 (17).jpg1294 (17).jpg1294 (15).jpg1294 (15).jpg1294 (14).jpg1294 (14).jpg1294 (22).jpg1294 (22).jpg

Hi Matt,

Sure, I'll include the companion bowl here. How big across is it?

9 inches acrossThank you

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the measurement.

This another lovely piece of early famille rose export porcelain, but it's probably not quite as old as the platter. The palette of colors includes the stannate yellow I mentioned which indicates a second quarter 1700s date for this one, either Yongzheng (1723 -1735) or early Qianlong but it's certainly complimentary to the platter in terms of the floral arrangement. It's very expressively and boldly painted. In fact, at first glance, it looks like the floral painting of early 20th century Art Nouveau. Hard to believe it's rising 300 years old.

• Large Chinese export porcelain centerpiece bowl, 2nd quarter 1700s, Yongzheng/early Qianlong period, decorated in famille rose enamels, a floral composition consisting mainly of tree peonies (mudan), the interior rim painted with a frieze of lattice diaper and reserves each containing foliate forms and a single half blossom, centering a two-flower vignette at the base of the interior.

Auction value range: $400 - $600. Full retail/replacement/insurance $1,200.

Hope this is helpful,

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.
Thank you!Good to know