Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have this tea pot which looks like pewter and

silverplate? . it is pewter...
I have this tea pot which looks like pewter and silverplate? . it is pewter looking on top and shiny on bottom. Manning bowman&co dated 1989 pats.
All the pots I've seen look shiny and say silver plate but the handle top and spout are rough and pewter looking. Can you tell me about this tea pot and value?
3/14/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Pot itsel
20180314_154922.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_154949.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_155151.jpg2018031...jpg20180314_154934-1.jpg2018031...jpg
That is all the images I have. Did you get four pictures

Yes, 4 photos on this end.

~Nora

Thank you for patience.

The handle, spout and lid in the matte silver metal tone are pewter.

The more reflective surface appears to be chrome.

Usually, Manning and Bowman made two tone teapots using pewter parts, just like on yours and then enamel or graniteware decoration on the body (where yours is reflective).

Here is a link to an example for you of one with a graniteware body:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1899-speckled-enamel-graniteware-teapot-manning

And here is a link to a visual example of one with a decorative enamel body:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/19thc-american-graniteware-teapot-1814915741

They also made teapots with ceramic bodies and pewter fittings. As well as chrome and copper bodies.

Here is a link to an example using pewter and copper:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-decorative-copper-pewter-491710823

Essentially the running theme of Manning,Bowman's teapots is to create a two-tone effect.

Your teapot would date to the early 20th century and even up to the 1920s. The 1899 is the patent date, not the production year.

Their teapots with enamel and graniteware sell for up to $80 each. The two-tone mixed metal teapots sell for an average of $20 each.

Here is a link for you with a brief history of the company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning,_Bowman_%26_Co.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you Nora. You're the best

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora

Nora

Thank you for another positive rating here :) Please feel free to request me again any time!

Sincerely,

Nora

I try to but didn't do something right and got others.it was my fault I did not put your name first. Thanks

It is best to both add my name at the beginning of the question and also use the request an expert function.

You can also kindly ask them to opt-out and state that you are waiting for me to provide the answer for you. Sometimes, your request will be obliged.

~Nora