Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only Another charger - 15 1/2 across Photos attached Thank…

For Robert S onlyHello RobertAnother...
For Robert S onlyHello RobertAnother charger - 15 1/2 acrossPhotos attachedThank youMatt
Photos attached
1629 (5).jpg1629 (5).jpg1629 (10).jpg1629 (10).jpg1629 (9).jpg1629 (9).jpg1629 (8).jpg1629 (8).jpg1629 (7).jpg1629 (7).jpg1629 (6).jpg1629 (6).jpg1629 (3).jpg1629 (3).jpg1629 (2).jpg1629 (2).jpg
3/14/2018
Lindie-mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Lindie
thank you
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Got this one, Matt, thanks.

I'll try and get to all these outstanding ones today.

Many thanks,
Robert.

thanks very muchmuch appreciated

This style of 'cock-of-the-rock' rooster and peony pattern came along during the Yongzheng (1723-1735) reign early in the Qing dynasty. It also marked some of the first examples of porcelain painting using the rose pink family of colors, the palette of opaque chalky enamels dominated by a particular magenta rose color that prompted the early French collectors to call "famille rose" also known as fencai by the Chinese. This charger dates to the Yongzheng or early Qianlong, second quarter of the 1700s when overglaze decoration with these enamels was still quite experimental, hence the appearance of the flaking blue, a very early attempt to fuse cobalt blue to the top of the glaze rather than its more traditional underglaze application.

The main decoration of a rooster, peony blossom (mudan) and also the butterflies is replete with symbolism.

The peony is the flower of prosperity and honor in the Asian tradition, but more importantly here, it's also a powerful symbol of femininity, representing the yin energy of a beautiful & healthy young girl, and her purity and virtue. The cockerel represents the male yang energy, the embodiment of fearless courage, but also wisdom, benevolence and loyalty. The Chinese character for a rooster is also a pun on the word "Lucky" 吉.

So together the peony and rooster form an auspicious rebus for a young man's quest for love. Add in the butterflies which are a pun on the character 叠 dié which means 'to repeat' and the rebus for perfect young love is doubled.

• A fine Chinese export porcelain rooster-&-peony pattern charger, Youngzheng or early Qianlong period, 2nd quarter 1700s, painted in famille rose (fencai) enamels over-the-glaze, in the center a scenic painting of a rooster perched on a rock among out-sized blossoms of tree peonies (mudan) and butterflies framed in a six-lobed, stylized cloud border in the cavetto painted pink and scattered with plum blossoms on an oeil de perdrix ground, encircled by an outer border with three-segmented radial symmetry, two alternating diaper patterns on a pink ground each centering individual quince blossoms, separated by reserved cartouches, each containing a single stylized flower blossom and karakusa scrolls in charcoal-colored raised paste enamel. 15-1/2" Dia.

This is another really special piece of porcelain. True, there is the tight hairline crack to the rim to consider, but it's probably older than both of us put together and is therefore not going anywhere, nor do these radial hairlines ever threaten the structural integrity of the plate in the way that cracks elsewhere can, so every collector bar the most picky would ignore it.

Given the popularity of this rooster & peony pattern with the Chinese right now, this one would sell at auction in the range of $1800 - $2,750. I would therefore insure it for at least $5,000.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Thank you Robert - very very interesting and thank you again for all of the detailVery much appreciated

You're so welcome, it's a beautiful plate and a delight to see!

it isI believe you have a few other items in the queue for me - would 1 of them be the large armorial export bowl? Cannot remember if I sent to you....Thanks again

If this one, then yes, I'll do it next.

Many thanks,

Robert.

That is itThank you