Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large approximately 50 in by 41 in piece of

I have a large...

I have a large approximately 50 in by 41 in piece of artwork. It is of Grandma Moses sitting at her kitchen table in front of a window painting a snow scene picture. The window panes are cutout. It is very similar to a 1949 Hallmark card. It is printed on a half inch thick board and is framed with an ornate gold frame.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I do not see any markings on either the back of the frame or my attempt to look inside the bottom of the frame. I am wondering if it is some type of advertisement prop or display

3/14/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art,
signatures if any and back of completed framing for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Please add an image that is not cropped.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This box will not upload another picture.How else can i send a picture to you?
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! I see where you have requested a new professional.

My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send your photos the email method.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

I received your excellent photos. Thank you.

Where did you get the information that this is a self portrait of Grandma Moses?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know if it is a self portrait however it is similar to a Hallmark Christmas card of Grandma Moses from I believe around 1949

Is it signed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any signature unless it is under the frame I did try and shine a flashlight down there in front but wasn't able to see anyting and I found nothing on the back

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time hopefully someone will be able to identify it

I am attaching your pictures here so you will not need to send them again. I will opt out again once I finish sending them.

70f65a02-841a-4d0f-9e9a-...jpg70f65a0...jpgb4cc92a6-677a-4337-8837-...jpgb4cc92a...jpg8c1777a1-955c-4533-982d-...jpg8c1777a...jpg73b754c2-20cf-42b1-a376-...jpg73b754c...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello I would be happy to help you. This is a wonderful piece you don't see. This is a version of her Hallmark Card from 1949 you are correct. They changed the curtain and added more windows, left out the flowers and shifted the window to the right farther. It was made for advertising Grandma Moses items. These printed cutouts were framed and hung in Hallmark Stores across the USA. The Hallmark Store began in 1910 and their slogan of “When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best,” Grandma Moses was a well known artist and loved throughout the country. This was a marketing plan and it worked well for Hallmark. They sold cards and gifts throughout the season. Department Stores picked up on the idea and these cutouts were changed to flow with the holidays. Hometown feeling and traditions were what Grandma became known as. These are rare to find as most didn't survive over time they were bent up or tore.

The value on this at 50" x 41" is 2***-**-****.00 and would be hard sell in today's market. If you were to sell it today you would probably see an actual sell of(###) ###-####00 If you kept it and waited the market may turn better in the way of getting a true value from the piece.

Buyers for this piece would be collectors of advertising, Grandma Moses items, American Folk Art, and Vintage cut out art.

Her paintings were reproduced on Hallmark greeting cards, fabrics, tiles and ceramics. They were used to market products, like coffee, lipstick, cigarettes, and cameras.

Grandma Moses (September 7, 1860 – December 13, 1961)

Grandma Moses was a well known American Folk Artist

the link below is to her biography. one of many found online:

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Mo-Ni/Moses-Grandma.html

If I have helped you completely please rate my work by the stars above our post here as that is the only way I am paid by the company. It doesn't cost you anything ti is strictly how the company pays me for my work. If I can be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much ! ! !
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser