Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old violin with inscription inside saying Giovan…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old violin with inscription inside saying Giovan poalo Maggini, brefcia or brelcia 1632. The 32 looks like it was added. Not sure if that is part of the original inscription

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Ok. I

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not sure what to add. Violin given to me by my grandmother who said it had been in our family for many generations. No idea if this is true

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 4 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the images, I will please need to see views of the interior label.

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

This is a late 19th century, about 1890 - 1900, violin copy of a Maggini that was produced in Germany.

These sell for an average of $300 - $400 on today's auction market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora