Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I found a box of hardcover Dr.Seuss books circa late 1950's…

I found a box...

I found a box of hardcover Dr.Seuss books circa late 1950's to mid 1960's. are they worth anything?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

They are all in excellent condition

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don't know, what should I look for?

3/14/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

How many books do you have?

About 20

The value is going to depend on the Title and the publishing dates.

If you can make me a list of the title of each book and the date it was published, also look to see if it says first edition, first publishing or it says what printing it is?

I could take a photo and sent that to your u
I'll make a list

That works much better

It may take me a bit of time��

That is fine, take your time.

It looks like most of them are " book club edition"
Many have a "cat in the hat" logo in the top right corner that says "I Can Read It All By Myself" Beginner Books

Ok, that helps though

I can look those up though, each one is different price,

If you can tell me the titles and dates

one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish 1960
-the cat in the hat 1957
-the cat in the hat comes back 1958
-and to think that I saw it on Mulberry street 1937
-ABC 1963
-fox in sox 1965
Those are the Dr. Seuss ones, there are a some from P.D Eastman. I'll send those next

I thought they were all Dr Seuss

How many of the other books are there?

Nope not all

How many of the other authors?

P.D Eastman
-go dog go 1961
-snow 1962
-Robert the rose horse 1962
-the best nest 1968
-Are you my mother 1960
-Sam and the firefly 1958Other author's are
Helen Palmer
Mildred Myrick
Al Perkins
Alice Low
Robert Lopshire
Mike McClintock
Stanley and Janice Berenstain
Sid Hoffman
Roy McKie
Marion Holland
Iris Vinton
Esther Averill
** I thought they were all Dr. Seuss because when I was looking at the jackets they mostly have the logo at thenside
I have 3 Thornton Burgess books:
-Mother West Wind "When"Stories 1917
-The Adventues of Jerry Muskrat 1943
-Johnny Chuck 1964
More Dr. Seuss:
Green Eggs and Ham 1960
Hop on pop 1963By Theo LeSieg:
-I wish that I had a duck 1965
2X Ten Apples up on top - both 1961

Hello

I can do the Dr Seuss books on this question, then you can submit other questions to me, I will be happy to do 4 books per question. We are paid by the site for the questions we complete. But this many books are way too many for one question.

Glenda

Oh OK, well if you could do the dr Seuss ones that would be great. Could you at least tell me if the other authors are worth looking into?

Yes, I can do that, let me look them up

Thank you Glenda ��

Here are these, and now I will go look up all the Dr Seuss and will let you know. When you look these up just look them up by the titles, and the author.

Thornton Burgess
Yes, his are good works

.

Eastman
Yes, they are good books

.
All of these are worth looking up by the title of the books!
Helen Palmer
Mildred Myrick
Al Perkins
Alice Low
Robert Lopshire
Mike McClintock
Stanley and Janice Berenstain
Sid Hoffman
Roy McKie
Marion Holland
Iris Vinton
Esther Averill

.

Theo LeSieg
Yes, they are good.

Ok so
Sid Hoffman
-Julius 1959
-Danny the Dinosaur 1958
-Sammy the Seal 1959

Yes, his are worth looking up

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Dr Seuss books: has an estimated value on the current market for an average of :

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish 1960- $145.00-155.00

The cat in the hat 1957 -$50.00-75.00- Beginner Book

The cat in the hat comes back 1958- $35.00-50.00

And to think that I saw it on Mulberry street 1937 -$75.00-125.00

ABC 1963 -$40.00-42.00

Fox in sox 1965 -$25.00-30.00

Green Eggs and Ham 1960 -$55.00-65.00

Hop on Pop 1963 -$40.00-42.50

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser