Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Diana F I picked up this heavy metal pineapple at the

Diana F Good morning, I...
Diana F Good morning, I picked up this heavy metal pineapple at the Mission Store. It is 18" tall and 8" wide. The metal leaves are overlapping and apparently welded together. The green leaves are very sturdy metal and hard to re-form. The base looks a little oxidized, I do not know if it was intended as an ornament or if it was originally a lamp. You can look down the center and see light as if it originally had a riser and was a lamp. Would you mind looking at it, Would it be better to leave it as an ornament or convert it to a lamp? Please let me know. Also i keep opening all of the doilies drawer and closing it. But Mother's friend has been in bad health lately and she is the only one to tell me what is machine made versus hand produced. Thanks, ***** *****
3/14/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Mike.

That's hard on the doilies. It can be hard to tell what's machine made or handmade even when you're looking at them closely.

I'll be glad to take a look at your pineapple piece.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the 2nd email with the additional pictures?

I did. Thanks!

Hi Mike.

I'm not sure who made the lamp. I think I've searched just about everyone made. It's not a simple brass design. You can actually see the overlay and layering in the design. It looks a bit more gold/brass toned than actually being brass metal. The green of the leaves is a nice touch. Most are the same type of coloring and metal as the "fruit" of the pineapple. In the case of the fancy glass pineapple lamps, the leaves are almost always metal. When you do find pineapple lamps that look more like the real deal, they're just not as well made as yours. It's possible it was mounted to a base, but I like it's sitting on a leaf like base. That's a little different.

.

The whole design is very reminiscent of the late Hollywood Regency style around the midcentury. It's not tied to any of the major design companies or lighting companies from back then that I can find. It's likely from one of the smaller retailers from about the 1960s. It's a shame that someone stripped the lamp out of it.

.

As just a decorative pineapple, it'll be worth about $60 to $75 as is. If you were to try and put it back as a lamp with a simple kit and shade, it'll be worth about $150 to maybe $175 on the high side. It's what I would shoot for on it.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser