Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

About 40 years ago my mother gave me a vintage hand woven…

About 40 years ago...

About 40 years ago my mother gave me a vintage hand woven jacket and hat from Guatemala that was a gift to her many years earlier. I'm not sure how old it is. The label in it says Shop of Tocsika Townley Roach. It's been hanging in my closet all this time. Thank you.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Well, that's all I really know.

3/14/2018
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks/signatures?

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

Alternately, you can upload them to the free site www.imgur.com and post the link here.

If that doesn’t work, please reach out to Customer Service for help at no additional charge:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us 1(###) ###-####/p>

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Jennifer

Thanks. Give me a little time to research this.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Thank you!

Tocsika Townley Roach was an American woman who moved to Guatemala in 1917.

• She and her husband, Jim, had resided in Guatemala since 1917. Her avocation was the collection of Indian textiles, and she opened the first textile shop in the city. She was concerned even in those days that Indian costume was slowly disappearing, and she collected some of the finest examples during her purchasing trips— many on foot to remote villages. Her collection was purchased eventually by the United Fruit Company and given to the Archeology Museum in Guatemala City.

So this in an exceptionally interesting set, coming from the first person to really appreciate and market traditional Guatemalan textile work.

Given the styling, I suspect this dates to the early 1940s. The weaving appears to be from the region of Nahuala, Guatemala.

The value of the jacket and hat would be in the range of $350.00 - $400.00, together.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM

Thanks so much for the positive rating!

If you have any future items you'd like me to review, please put “For AppraiserJM” in the subject line and it will be sent to my attention.

Sincerely,

Jennifer