Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a friend who has a large black porcelain bowl with a…

I have a friend...

I have a friend who has a large black porcelain bowl with a fish (carp) motif. The stamp on the bottom reads (I believe) made to the order of Emperor Kang Xi. She received the bowl as a gift from a very closed friend whose husband purchased it at an antique store in Beverly Hills in the 1950's. I warned my friend that there is a long history of fake Chinese porcelain, especially attributed to Kang Xi. What are the chances that it is real that perhaps came from the Summer Palace in Peking?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I wanted to take her and the bowl to the Antique Roadshow on May 29 in San Diego but seem to have missed the deadline to apply for tickets to the show

3/14/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

With marks on Chinese wares, the characters state a Dynasty after which the style of the item is made. In other words, the Dynasty or reign mentioned in the mark does not mean it was made during that time,

Nora, I know that and I warned my friend that there was an excellent chance that it was a fake make about the turn of the 20th century. How would I get a better idea if my friend's bowl is real or a fake?

The piece is not necessarily a fake, per se, it is ware from China, however most likely made in the 20th century.

Would you like to send images?

~Nora

Nora, it belongs to my friend and do not have it in front of me. So far, your response is not worth the $5 on my credit card I already spent. What are the indications that it is real?

The piece you are considering was produced in the 20th century.

If it is unmarked on the underside, it is more likely to be authentic.

The more marks, the more contemporary, as in 20th century

Please let me know how I can further assist you.

Thanks

You are very welcome.

If it is black ground, it is Famille Noire.

These were usually marked as Tongzhi Period, though made mostly around 1900 - 1920s.

They still sell for $200 - $300.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora