Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Diana I have a piece of furniture I believe its of Westlake…

Hello Diana I have a piece...
Hello Diana
I have a piece of furniture I believe its of Westlake style made some time between 1872 and 1900. I am thinking of that time because the drawers have knapp joints instead of dove tail cuts. would like any info you can give me plus a value you may think it would be worth?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Great timing. You caught me just as I was just about to head off for the night.

.

Before I get into your dresser, I have to say your marble side table looks fantastic. =) As for your big piece, that's looks like an old Eastlake piece. That's definitely an old joint style you don't see anymore. You're right that it's a knapp joint. Some call it a pin and cove.

.

What you have is an Eastlake marble top dresser. It has an attached framed, beveled mirror with a sort of faux column design with fluted accents. The top features a carved geometric design, while the sides have 2 candle shelves with drop finials. Drop finials are probably one of my favorite little details in Eastlake furniture.

.

The wood looks to be walnut. It has a brown marble slab resting on 3 upper drawers with burled wood veneers and an incised geometric design. The center drawer looks to have a lock. Below those are 2 long drawers with incised carvings and burled veneers. All the drawers look to have the original brass, decorative hardware and pulls. It also looks like it might sit on the original casters.

.

You're right about the date. Given the detailing, it likely dates to about 1880/1890.

.

It's a really a beautiful piece and looks to be well taken care of. A piece like that is going to be worth about $1500 to $1750 in a private sale. At auction, you expect about 1/2 that.

.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great night.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Diana your my favorite expert I must tell you that I bout that Eastlake at auction 75.00 and those Noritake china for 25.00 can you believe that I am still reeling from it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What did you think the piece next to the Eastlake might bring

Aw. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. You got a fantastic deal.

.

It looks a bit like an American Victorian Renaissance Revival marble top parlor table in walnut. It's a little simpler than some other pieces from that era, but it does have 4 angular legs and a central turned post. The casters are likely original. It has light marble top with a simple edge, but does look like it might have some decorative embellishments to the apron. A piece like that is worth about $500 to $700 in a private sale or at a higher end shop with an auction at about 1/2 that.

.

It's a nice piece. =)

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser