Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only A large export bowl for your consideration - 14 1/2…

For Robert S onlyA large...
For Robert S onlyA large export bowl for your consideration - 14 1/2 Round x 6 HPhotos attachedThank you
1626.jpg1626.jpg1626c.jpg1626c.jpg1626 (10).jpg1626 (10).jpg1626 (9).jpg1626 (9).jpg1626 (8).jpg1626 (8).jpg1626d.jpg1626d.jpg1626 (5).jpg1626 (5).jpg1626 (4).jpg1626 (4).jpg1626 (3).jpg1626 (3).jpg1626 (2).jpg1626 (2).jpg
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

Letting you know I got this one,

Many thanks!

Robert.

PS, do you mean 14 1/2 across, or 14 1/2 round?

sorry - 14 1/2 across - it is quite large...

This is another beauty and typical of its type, a large Chinese export armorial porcelain punch bowl dating to around about 1790 - 1810. The armorial device is designed for the American market with a distinctly Republican rather than Monarchist design without any hint of European heraldic motifs, just a simple monogram TM in traditional cursive script calligraphy of the time. This makes it well nigh impossible to trace the name or the individual, unfortunately, that it originally belonged to. The beauty of English crests and coats-of-arms is that they are deliberately designed in unique combinations of 'charges' (motifs) so one can almost always link them to the original family, and sometimes even to the individual within that family. But again, this is of curiosity value only and knowing the name doesn't usually add to or subtract from the monetary value.

• A large Chinese export armorial porcelain punch bowl, circa 1790 - 1810, heavily potted and decorated with two armorial devices, each on opposing sides, consisting of a cursive monogram "TM" in a shield suspended from a blue ribbon and bowknot on a backdrop cartouche of ermine-lined, gold and royal blue drapery surmounted with a golden bowknot, the exterior of the footrim decorated with a gold & blue sawtooth sting-line repeated en suite in the center of the interior, the rim decorated inside and out with a stringline of loops suspended from a blue band studded with gold stars. 14-1/2" dia.

Auction value range: $800 - $1200. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $2400.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.