Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a hall's safe and lock co safe that I was just

Customer Question
I have a hall's...

I have a hall's safe and lock co safe that I was just finally able to open! it's gorgeous and I'm trying to figure out its year and where the serial number is *****

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I know its older than 1892

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Its a double door outside with a combo lock and double door inside with a key. the interior painting is of peaches if that means anything. I have pics available

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/13/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 4 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Here are the pics I took
20180313_150827.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_150833.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_150841.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_150848.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_152207.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_152213.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_152224.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_152248.jpg2018031...jpg

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

What are the approximate dimensions? ~Nora

the safe is BIG. 32"Dx38"Wx53"H
It has rounded corners on the sides with gold pin striping and a braid looking pattern painted on the rounded corners

Thank you for the additional information.

There apparently are no known records that track the serial number to the year produced on Hall's Safe and Lock Company safes. If there is a serial number on yours it may be stamped along the edge of the door.

I can tell you from the style of the hand painted, aka tole painted decoration, that this dates to the 1880s.

At this size, condition and extra decoration, this safe could sell for as high as $10,000 - $12,000 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora