Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Do i need to have any certificate to sell antique furniture…

Customer Question
Do i need to...

Do i need to have any certificate to sell antique furniture in IL. Furniture comes from Europe

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Did you understand my question?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Hi

Expert's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have a question

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
3/13/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 month ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

You do not need a certificate or a license to sell antique furniture from Europe in Illinois.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do we need to have specific documents to bring antique furniture to USA from Europe?

That is a different question and I do not know the answer in that case. I will opt-out and allow another Expert to answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the customs fees to bring antique furniture from Europe? Do we need to have any specific documents for custums?
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 month ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you. I see you have several questions on the import if furniture from England. Please allow me to research and see what the fees would be and what the necessary paperwork needed is. I believe you just need to know who sent it and have your receipts. I will double check on that for you now. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Furniture from Europe not from England. Furniture will be coming out of Lithuania

Ok thank you that is important. I appreciate the correction.

From what I have found if the furniture is being shipped the USPS will stop it and determine if duty is warranted. Most will come through to you without any monies needed. I found nothing under Europe or Lithuania on restrictions. Unless it was alcohol, tobacco or medications.

I have noted below what I found on the customs link

I have spent a few hours going through all customs to determine this answer. Here is what I have found:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Mailing and Shipping Goods - Customs Duty Guidance

Unaccompanied purchases are goods you bought on a trip that are being mailed or shipped to you in the United States. In other words, you are not carrying the goods with you when you return. If your unaccompanied purchases are from an insular possession (IP) or a Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) country and are being imported within 30 days and sent directly from those locations to the United States, you may enter them as follows:

• Up to $1,600 in goods will be duty-free under your personal exemption if the merchandise is from an IP.
  • Up to $800 in goods will be duty-free if it is from a CBI or Andean country.
  • Any additional amount, up to $1,000, in goods will be dutiable at a flat rate (3%).

To take advantage of the Customs duty-free exemption for unaccompanied tourist purchases (mailing/shipping) from an IP or CBI country:

Step 1. At place and time of purchase, ask your merchant to hold your item until you send him or her a copy of CBP Form 255 (Declaration of Unaccompanied Articles), which must be affixed to the package when it is shipped.

Step 2. (a) On your declaration form (CBP Form 6059B), list everything you acquired on your trip that is accompanying you. You must also complete a separate Declaration of Unaccompanied Articles form (CBP Form 255) for each package or container that will be sent to you after you arrive in the United States. This form may be available where you make your purchase. If not, you may find the form on the CBP website.

Step 3. When you return to the United States, the CBP officer will: (a) collect Customs duty and any tax due on the dutiable goods you have brought with you; (b) verify your list of unaccompanied articles with your sales receipts; (c) validate your CBP Form 255 to determine if your purchases are duty-free under your personal exemption ($1,600 or $800) or if the purchases are subject to a flat rate of duty.

Step 4. Two copies of the three-part CBP Form 255 will be returned to you. Send the yellow copy of the CBP Form 255 to the foreign shopkeeper or vendor holding your purchase, and keep the other copy for your records.

Step 5. When the merchant gets your CBP Form 255, he or she must place it in an envelope and attach the envelope securely to the outside wrapping of the package or container. The merchant must also mark each package "Unaccompanied Purchase." Please remember that each package or container must have its own CBP Form 255 attached, the most important step to follow in order to gain the benefits allowed under this procedure.

Step 6. If your package has been mailed, the U.S. Postal Service will deliver it after it clears Customs. If you owe duty, the Postal Service will collect the duty along with a postal handling fee. If a freight service transports your package, they will notify you of its arrival and you must go to their office holding the shipment and complete the CBP entry procedure. If you owe duty or tax, you will need to pay it at that time in order to secure the release of the goods. You could also hire a customs customhouse broker to do this for you. However, be aware that customhouse brokers are private businesses and are not CBP employees, and they charge fees for their services.

If freight or express packages from your trip landed in the U.S. before you return and you have not made arrangements to pick them up, CBP will authorize their placement into general order bonded warehouse or public storage after 15 days (days for perishable, flammable, explosives). This storage and all other related charges (transportation, demurrage, handling) will be at your risk and expense. If the goods are not claimed within six months, they will be sold at auction.

Per U.S. Postal Service regulations, packages sent by mail and not claimed within 30 days from the date of U.S. arrival will be returned to the sender unless the amount of duty is being protested.

Customs Border Protection can be contacted by:

If you are unable to find the information you need, the CBP INFO Center is open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Eastern time. You can ask by calling 1-877-CBP-5511(###) ###-####. If you are outside the U.S. you must call ***-***-****. (Telecommunications device for the hearing impaired: 1-***-***-****

Hello I wanted to check back to see if you needed further help. Please let me know
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser