Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My mother has a chinese screen that we believe is 19th

My mother has a...

My mother has a chinese screen that we believe is 19th century. approx 6 feet high and just over 8 feet wide. Had appraisal many years ago but cannot locate it. We are looking to sell it and need to know what it worth. The figurines are carved covered in glass. very detailed

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

For example?

3/13/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

the screen is over 6 feet tall and over 8 feet wide.
IMG_1190.JPGIMG_1190.JPGIMG_1181.JPGIMG_1181.JPGIMG_1182.JPGIMG_1182.JPGIMG_1186.JPGIMG_1186.JPGIMG_1191.JPGIMG_1191.JPG

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Ok Do you have any questions?

Would you please be able to provide more clear, in-focus images of the screen?

~Nora

Those are all that i currently have. unfortunately.

Okay, understood

Thank you for your patience.

This is an antique, 19th century, heavily carved 6-panel folding screen that although purported to be from China is made in the Japanese Shibayama style which includes carved bone, ivory and stone elements that are carved in to pieces that are placed on the surface to create a 3-dimensional, or bas-relief image.

The glass is more likely a later additional to possibly keep the pieces from being touched and knocked off, as it is not typical to add glass to Asian folding screens.

Very clear, in-focus, extreme close-ups and more clear images would help in determining if this is Chinese done in a Japanese style or Japanese depicting Chinese scenes, this was common for objects from both countries.

High sale value for this is $5000 - $8000.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

that you. It was actually mentioned that it may be japanese however I forgot that until you mentioned it. your estimate is substanialy lower then the appraisal that came in 20 yrs ago. Has the market dropped?

You are welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

Yes, unfortunately, the market has changed significantly, especially since the Recession.

~Nora

Nora
Thank you

You are welcome and thank you for the positive rating.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora