Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a marble top table with ornate base, suspect teak.

I have a marble top...
I have a marble top table with ornate wood base, suspect teak wood. Only markings I find are on bottom of marble piece "Napier D K F" written in a style as I have seen in Germany. Photos enclosed
IMG_20180214_155231.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180214_155341.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180214_155119.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180214_155107.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180214_155133.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180214_155214.jpgIMG_201...jpg
3/13/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thanks for requesting me.

.

I'll be glad to see what I can find.

~Diana

Please add a value if possible

Hi. I can definitely help with a value, but I can't tell you who made it. Nothing specific turns up on the Napier name. Given the way that's written on the marble, that's probably the artisan/company that cut the marble slab. It's not uncommon to find these old furniture pieces marked with notations and signatures to indicate who sold the slab. Furniture companies would often farm out the marble work. It doesn't tell you who made the furniture though. If you're lucky sometimes the furniture will be stamped with the maker, but most often (as with yours), there's no mark to indicate the furniture maker.

.

I can tell you about the style, age and value though.

~Diana

Please provide me the additional info as am determining if I want to buy it to put in my antique shop.

Hi. I can do that.

.

It's a very cool table. It's an American Victorian Renaissance Revival marble top table. It's a round parlor table that should date to the late 19th century. I found a handful of a similar style that were attributed to ***** ***** (Brooks Bros) out of New York. Brooks is a very highly sought after Victorian furniture maker. He made a number of Renaissance revival pieces throughout the mid and later part of the 19th century. Here's some work attributed to him:

https://imgur.com/a/xR7tP

https://imgur.com/a/NOeEc

.

You can definitely see a similarity in style. Without it being marked, I can't say for sure, but I would definitely say it's heavily influenced by Brooks' work.

.

The wood looks like walnut to me. It looks like a American Renaissance Revival carved walnut Marble top table. With has a wide carved apron with drop finial decorations. It has four scrolled legs pulled into a sort of pedestal design with finial accents. It has a quadped base with ring turned tapered style feet. It's a little hard to see, but these usually sat on casters as well.

.

It looks to be in excellent condition. Given the quality, a piece like that is worth about $1500 to $1750 on the high side in your higher end shops.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer. Is there a problem with my answer or anything else I can help with? I welcome any and all feedback.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Your info was invaluable as it helped me and my customer determine our plan of action, thank you.

Hi. Thank you for the kind words and positive rating. I appreciate it. I'm glad I was able to help. If you need anything else, just let me know.

~Diana