Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

FOR DORIS ONLY: (I'm assuming these next 2 are still on the…

FOR DORIS ONLY: (I'm assuming...
FOR DORIS ONLY: (I'm assuming these next 2 are still on the JustAnswer $5.00 Week-Intro Special.)
Hi Doris--these next 2 to evaluate are important for me:
1) James L Crow equine original painting, done in 1986. Actual painting itself measures 26" x 21".
2) Ivan Swift American Impressionist original painting, done in 1921. Actual painting measures 16" x 13".
*Please note also that this painting is still in its original Mission-style wooden frame. Also additional writings by the artist &/or others are on the back of both the canvas painting & the wooden frame backs. gsg
Photos of 6 each follow:
DSCN0021.JPGDSCN0021.JPGDSCN0018.JPGDSCN0018.JPGDSCN0023.JPGDSCN0023.JPGDSCN0024.JPGDSCN0024.JPGDSCN0026.JPGDSCN0026.JPGDSCN0038.JPGDSCN0038.JPGDSCN0046.JPGDSCN0046.JPGDSCN0047.JPGDSCN0047.JPGDSCN0050.JPGDSCN0050.JPGDSCN0051.JPGDSCN0051.JPGDSCN0054.JPGDSCN0054.JPGDSCN0058.JPGDSCN0058.JPG
3/13/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

That's great, Doris--you really helped me last Friday on my first 2 items. I still have 2 more or so items I'd like you to evaluate, as well. No big rush as far as time; just want you to do your usual good job--thanks again! Gaye

I am having a bit of a difficult time determining the names of the artists. Please help.

What are the sizes in inches not including the frames. Do not remove from the frames.

Kind regards,

Doris

Oh, Doris--I forgot to add something--on the James L Crow horse painting, it is of Arabian horses, & a 3-generational study of people, I believe; anyway, this I was told was used as a cover art for an Arabian magazine or an Arabian big important show, like the Scottsdale Arabian horse show--I don't know if it makes any difference for the value of the painting, but I did want to include the info to you. Thanks. Gaye

Thank you, ***** ***** is good to know.

What about the name od the other artist...Ivan ?.

Also, sizes in inches, please.

Doris, did the email not include the notes I included before the photos?
If it didn't, here goes--Ivan Swift, Michigan American Impressionist artist, from Harbor Springs area, circa 1920-21. We bought this long ago in the '80's, & since then had it looked at in the first Antiques Roadshow in Tulsa years ago, & I think back then they thought perhaps a $1200. + value or more. The size of that Swift painting is 16" x 13". Also please note that that one is still in its original Mission-style wooden frame from so long ago, if that helps, plus all the notes & certificates on the back of it.
The size of the Crow painting is 26" x 21". For what it's worth, I saw an online statement by a gallery person that some of his (Crow's) paintings can be in the 5-figure-mark. Other than that, I know that he really started his sold paintings about 1983, & has done lots of others since, including I've seen Limited Editions of his works selling on ebay for $99.00, & he has done famous racehorse paintings since then too, I've seen on Google search--if all that helps--hope it does! Thanks. Gaye

Gaye,

Thank you for the additional info. It had not come throughhere before.

The most James L Crow's watercolors have sold for at auction in recent years is $300-500. Let me see if I can locate any retail sales.

I know that he hasn't had many at all come up at auctions yet, but apparently retail sales of his originals are found a lot, especially of his equine/horse art, & as I said, the Limited Editions of his horse works sell a lot online.
I remember that when we bought this original of his, at an Arabian show in the '80's, from a friend/gallery owner, we paid about $500., & she said it had been bought for $1500. originally--the owner needed the money at the time we bought it.
Gaye

There are dozens of his limited edition prints online. The most I found one for at auction is a $200 for va very large one.

Where did you find some of James L Crow originals for sale? I looked him up in the best artist directory with over 2000 pages of listed/well known artists (in tiny print) and he is not there.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I discovered he is of the 20th Century British School; also:
1) I did a Google Search for James L Crow original paintings, & among many shown, was "Going to the Whip" watercolor (540 x 360) under The Saleroom. Also pictured was "Winning Colors" (she's a racehorse, too) a print.
2) also, Google search under James L. Crow, artist, was info plus photos shown, like "Grande Champion" original painting from the American Saddlebred Museum, from a 2009 auction.
I hope this helps you more--thanks! Gaye

Gaye, I have found several auctions for James L Crow watercolors and, as I said, dozens of prints.

You may have already seen this; but just in case you have not, I will include it here..

Equine artist James L. Crow was born in Ohio in 1933, he has made a lifetime commitment to the horse in both his personal and professional life.

Crow majored in art at the College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1955. He began his professional career at American Greeting Corporation in Cleveland, and much of his early work was accomplished as a free lance illustrator and painter. In 1954, he married his wife Molly, whose passion for horses matched his own. Twenty-five years later, they realized a dream when they moved to Kentucky and purchased a small horse farm. Surrounded by the legendary beauty of the Bluegrass, Crow began focusing on equine subjects, and in 1983, was able to go full time as a fine artist.

James Crow often uses his own horses as models for his famed pastoral scenes, and has been described as a master in capturing the ambiance of the Bluegrass. He is equally talented in a number of media, including oil, watercolor and charcoal. His unique translucent style and use of romantic light has found universal appeal.

Crow's work is honored in permanent collections throughout the United States, England and Japan. His structural accuracy has ensured numerous portrait commissions of champion horses, including the favorite broodmare of the Marchioness of Tavistock, Bedfordshire, England; the champion race mare Safely Kept; Kentucky Derby winner Affirmed; and twice Maryland Million champion Timely Warning.

His paintings have been on display at the Headley-Whitney Museum, the International Museum of the Horse, the Kentucky Horse Park Museum, the J. B. Speed Museum, and the Kentucky Derby Museum. He is an appointed member of the American Academy of Equine Artists, and has won numerous awards in AAEA exhibitions, including "Best of Show," "Best Sporting Work" and "Best Watercolor."

James L. Crow has been featured in Mid West Art Magazine (cover), American Saddlebred (cover), Art Digest , Equine Images (cover), Saddle & Bridle and National Horseman , among other publications. Examples of his work also are found in John Fairley's book Racing In Art , published in England by John Murray.

Source: Horse and Hound

Given the history of your James L Crow original watercolor and the popular equine subject matter plus the obvious skill with which it was painted, one can determine an estimated retail value of $7500-11,000 for it although auction results have been far less than that.

As for the other painting..

Herbert Ivan Swift (1873-1945) Michigan

The following is from Julie Ramsey:

"My mother Virginia ***** ***** - Duggan (1915-) met Ivan through her aunt, Ann Broad, a nurse from the Ford Hospital and born in Ionia, Michigan, who was involved with Ivan for a number of years until Broad's death in the 30's.

Virginia had a heart condition and was bed ridden for six months, when she was twelve years old. Ivan visited her regularly, told her stories and wrote a poem for her. To the best of her recollection the poem was as follows:

Mine still is to grieve and to wander.
Hers waits at the Courts of kings.
Oh the grief and the price we squandered
For the way of the (waif or wage ?) that sings.

He lived in a hotel near the Detroit Art Center when in the area. She remembers once walking past a theater when she was in college and he was hiding in the entrance to scare her.

Virginia visited him at his cabin in Chippewa Cove, and reported he had a 'hex sign' on his outhouse to "scare the Indians". In his cabin he had one corner dedicated to painting-by the north window, one corner dedicated to writing, and another corner, and a bookbinding area upstairs. Visitors slept in one of the two lofts.

Ivan also wrote a book called "The Faggots of Cedar." He had also written a poem to her aunt called "The Nurse". she doesn't know if that was ever printed."

My research of current retail prices for original paintings resulted in a determination of $3500-5000 for this Herbert Ivan Swift painting. An auction value would be about $1900-2400.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Wow, Doris, thank you so very much!
(I have to apologize for my absense from being online for the 2 hours or so, because while waiting for you, I phoned the wife of a friend who'd been hospitalized after a bad car accident, & got very bad news, so I had to take a break from our messages.)
Again, thank you so much for your info on these 2 artists' work--that comes at an opportune time for us, due to some unforeseen medical expenses I entailed, from 2 long-ago horse-related accidents of my own, unfortunately--I love horses, as you can tell from the art we collected!
Doris, if you're not tired of emailing me yet, I have at least 2 other items I would like you to evaluate for me tomorrow, please. At least those 2 are very different from the last 4--not horse-related!
So if that's fine I'll email you again tomorrow about them, 1 is another painting, an A/P, but the final one is an automaton music box that's pretty unusual--"neat" as I term it! I'll go ahead now to give you an excellent rating for this session--because it was, definitely! God's Blessings to you, Gaye

Thank you so much for the positive rating!

FOR DORIS ONLY: Thanks again for the last 2 items you did, Doris--I certainly appreciate all your hard work & time & trouble in researching those 2 so thoroughly!
These are probably the last 2 I get to before the trial period is ended tomorrow for me; however, do you know if membership to this org. can be per month or does it have to be yearly only?On to these 2:
1) a Framed, Limited Edition Seriograh, Artist-Proof & Signed; "Downhill Skier" by Paul(?) Tenabe.
***Oh, I forgot to add, the correct color is on this first one--#9961, bec. the others seem to have the color not quite right--unknown why?
Size of the print itself is 24" x 30". #7 as follows:2) an Automaton Music Box Cigarette/Lipstick Dispenser, plays 3 tremendous-sopunding tunes, w 72 notes each, or 3:72 as it's displayed in music box listings.
Measures 8" L x 5 1/2" W x 11" Tall.
Very unusual, bec. has porcelain top & bottom, inside opens up to a sitting/music room, with formal piano player whose head moves side-to-side as both doors open up together, head turns to opening when it's opened fully.
There's a parquet wooden floor under the piano; also a chandelier & side lights in the room--
AND they are LIGHTED, or they're supposed to be, by batteries which would go into the bottom; however, the lights and the automatic doors are NOT working right now:
There is a push-button lever on the right side that would start it in motion; however, at present when it's pushed it plays 1 tune at a time, to the end of the long tune;
again there are 3 great-sounding tunes: "Ein Kleine Nachtmusik" ("A Little Nightmusic", "Glockenspiel", & "Don Juan.")--see label in photo, bec. these are spelled in German with translation.
Oh, the figures inside appear to be resin.
The mirrors are spotless & not aged.
The music played is exquisite.
If possible, can you please give a value of this as it is now, & a possible estimate of its value if it were repaired?--I know that would be expensive to repair.
Thank you so much for your consideration of these, Doris! Gaye
Photos follow: maybe 12:Doris, I forgot to mention to you that I do have an online store in ebay that I have been selling items from for a long time, but not any artwork like these, so your opinion here would also be appreciated as far as where to sell, especially the artwork--thanks!
DSCN9961.JPGDSCN9961.JPGDSCN9962.JPGDSCN9962.JPGDSCN9964.JPGDSCN9964.JPGDSCN9969.JPGDSCN9969.JPGDSCN9972.JPGDSCN9972.JPGDSCN9973.JPGDSCN9973.JPGDSCN9895.JPGDSCN9895.JPGDSCN9924.JPGDSCN9924.JPGDSCN9925.JPGDSCN9925.JPGDSCN9927.JPGDSCN9927.JPGDSCN9928.JPGDSCN9928.JPGDSCN9930.JPGDSCN9930.JPGDSCN9931.JPGDSCN9931.JPGDSCN9933.JPGDSCN9933.JPGDSCN9936.JPGDSCN9936.JPGDSCN9945.JPGDSCN9945.JPGDSCN9940.JPGDSCN9940.JPGDSCN9954.JPGDSCN9954.JPGDSCN9957.JPGDSCN9957.JPG
FOR DORIS ONLY: ***Please let me know that Doris received my latest entry today! Gaye