Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I inherited my Dad's collection of Bermuda 1st day covers -

I inherited my Dad's...

I inherited my Dad's collection of Bermuda 1st day covers - how to collate/organise them? they're in manilla envelopes all mixed up. He was the postmaster general till 1980 and collected since the 30's.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Not sure how to present them since they're all mixed up and in other manilla envelopes, I understand why he kept them to protect them, but now, how important is it to keep them like that? the name/addresses are also on the manilla envelopes, but not what they are, can I sdiscard the outers?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Should I look to sell the whole as a collection? or sell seperately?

3/13/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Are you wanting to know how people keep these? Or are you wanting to know how to sell them?

Hi Glenda, nobody in the family is interested in stamps, so more inclined to sell. But they aren't organised or in any fashion for 'presentation' Right now I'm just wading through them to see whats there. Probably several hundred, from the 40's right through to the early 2000's
not able to call sorry. After I organise by date, should each envelope be in its own plastic sleeve?

Hello

I actually do not do live phone calls, that is an offer by the site not the appraiser. Appraisers come to the site to answer questions that customers post.

Are you wanting to list these as one lot, sell all of them at the same time?

preferably yes, as a lot

I can do some research to see what these first days are going for and then give you an idea for selling the several hundred in one lot, say list them on Ebay and a few other sites I can recommend. How does that sound?

we'd be grateful for any direction or suggestions thank you Glenda
btw - there are many of the same of most issues...

That will be fine, I would just tell in the description that some might be duplicates.

Are all of your First Days in good condition?

definately, and just determined the earliest issue is late 40's

Thank you,

After researching First Day Stamps from the 1940's until the early 2000's. The average they sell for is around 35.00-50.00 per 10-12. With the ones you have being in excellent condition, and ranging from these days, that you have hundreds of them. They would have an estimated value on the current market for $1***-**-****.00. Bring attention when you list these to any special ones that might catch your attention. This will get buyers to look at what you have

I would list these on Ebay, or Amazon Market place these two areas have the largest shopping audiences. They have shoppers from all over the world.

.

If you sell to a dealer, or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser