Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only though I am thinking perhaps you are a bit West of…

For Robert S onlyGood morning...
For Robert S onlyGood morning - though I am thinking perhaps you are a bit West of me....7 photos of another delft charger attached - 15 1/4 Round - curious as to your thoughts - particularly the markThank you
1229 (6).jpg1229 (6).jpg1229 (5).jpg1229 (5).jpg1229 (4).jpg1229 (4).jpg1229 (3).jpg1229 (3).jpg1229 (2).jpg1229 (2).jpg1229 (1).jpg1229 (1).jpg1229 (7).jpg1229 (7).jpg
3/13/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

Just letting you know I got the beautiful Dutch charger.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Thank you

What a timeless-looking design this is -it could almost have been done yesterday- but is also reminiscent of the best Art Nouveau designs of a century-and-half after this was painted, which I would say is third quarter 1700s, possibly as late as 1780, as per the double ringed circle and the lack of magenta in the palette. It's a variation on the Delft "four hearts" pattern -more like the four spades in this case- with a Chinese garden-and-bird central scenic on a ground of stylized green lotus leaves and pine-cones. All of the motifs are borrowed from Chinese ornament and whimsically re-interpreted without the artist having any clue what the original subject in nature looked like. Hence the pine-cones were originally the seed pods of the Buddha's lotus flower, and the heart-shapes were originally outlines of the Immortal Peach also a powerful symbol in the Buddhist tradition.

As to the monogram on the bottom, I'm sure it has something to do with the Pynacker workshop. Possibly a Jacob Pynacker (that first character is most likely the "I" for a "J") descendant of Jacob and Adrian Pynacker who registered a very similar mark in the late 1600s. By the time this piece was decorated, however, Hugo Brouwer had taken over their workshop (in 1764) so either this piece is earlier in date or the Pynacker attribution is not quite correct.

As for value: this is a good piece and in immaculate condition. It would sell at auction in the $400 - $650 range.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $1,250.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
  • A fine Dutch Delft large platter or charger, circa 3rd quarter 1700s, tin-glazed earthenware, a variation of the Four Hearts pattern, painted in four-color polychrome enamels, the central scenic depicting a fantasy bird perched on a trellis in a Chinese garden, framed in a double lined blue ring and surrounded by a broad border with four-segmented radial symmetry, comprising four ogee shaped reserves with stylized florals, alternating with four pine cones in rust red on a ground of olive green stylized lotus leaves, marked on the reverse with an "IPK" monogram, possibly for Jacob Pynacker. 15-1/4" dia.

Auction value: $400 - $650 range. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $1,250.

PerfectThank you very much
Need to figure out how to tip - do you know how to do this?I will figure it out

Thanks!