Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I purchased a teapot, cup and saucer and a small sandwich…

Customer Question
I purchased a teapot...

I purchased a teapot, cup and saucer and a small sandwich type plate with a heart cutout at each end in what was supposed to be Old Country Roses. The backmark on the cup, saucer and teapot does not have the usual 3 roses. It just says Royal Albert and mentions The Essential Box Company. The tray is a little better but the fl

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Owers do not go up the sides to the gold edging. The flowers on all pieces are not the same as the rest of OCR. The greenery at going down from the bottom rose instead of across. I have several photos. Can you please advise me as I believe it is fake. Is there a range called Old Country Roses Country Collection.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/13/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE plate showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

I cannot read the marks. Please send close up of one set of marks on one piece.

Thank you but I really need one picture of the marks on the bottom of one piece.

There are several Old Country Roses styles in the Royal Albert series made at different periods. The marks on the same pattern will vary according to which the run of production they were in. Yours is the gold rimmed version.

Please list the pieces you have and how many of each you have so that I can give you values.

Kind regards,

Doris

I must be away from my computer for about an hour due to a prior commitment. As soon as I return, I will work on yours first.

I would deeply appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

The whole set is very chunky and not fine and see through like OCR, the roses are not in the correct location and placement and the greenery faces in the wrong direction. The teapot was not fine and delicate but looks more like something purchased at Woolworths. It has 2 incomplete flowers either side of the spout. The flowers are not the same ad any other OCR I could see on any website. How were the Essential Box Company associated with Royal Albert. Experts on the Royal Albeert site say that all OCR (size permitting) have the flowers underneath and also the name Old country Roses. This certainly is large enough to have the correct backstamps.
Heather

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 4 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** as owner of an auction house and specialist in British ceramics I have handled pieces by Royal Doulton and Royal Albert in the OCR pattern from every era. Give me a few moments to compare your images these with my archive of sold pieces and I'll reply with a critical opinion as to the authenticity of your examples.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Dear *****,

I believe that the examples you have sent by the Essential Box Company were licensed by Royal Doulton / Royal Albert to use the trademark associated with the OCR pattern. To answer why they are so different to that which you have collected previously we have to go into a little history, so bare with me...

When these were released in 2006, I was working for the second largest Royal Doulton retailer in the world and handled thousands of pieces which came directly from the factory; these do not conform to any I have handled but I think I know why. In 2006 Royal Doulton was going into receivership (i.e bankruptcy); they were restructuring all of their brands (including Royal Albert) in an attempt to stay commercially viable. This included moving the bulk of their production overseas.

It wouldn't surprise me if part of their restructuring plan included licensing the trademark to different manufactures for specific shapes and time periods, this could easily include The Essential Box company. The Essential Box Co. would have then completed the manufacturing to their specifications and through their own factories, I notice that the ceramic body is not listed as being Bone China, this is why it is not translucent. Your RD/RA pieces should all be marked Bone China, the older examples also "Made in England", newer examples are likely to say, "Designed in England". This would also account for why I never handled these pieces as our product came directly from Royal Doulton / Royal Albert and not 3rd party licensees.

So... is it real? Yes, I do believe they had the licensing rights. It is bone china? No, it is a fine white stoneware and I agree, not as carefully designed as what I have handled, perhaps this is why the partnership did not continue, but this last point is my opinion.

I hope this romp through history has answered your questions as I always strive for 5-star service, but if I've left anything unanswered, let me know, we won't stop chatting until you are satisfied. If you are content, please take a moment and rate my service via the 'Stars'.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Good Afternoon
I have been looking at the "OCR" and I am still very doubtful about it. I purchased it for display in a restaurant but it looks so chunky, roughly made and out of place I could not use it.
I have not been able to find trays with the two hearts cut out or anything that look as roughly made. The transfers/stencils on the teapot are unfinished and not the same as OCR. The roses do not appear on the back of the cup, saucer and teapot.
Should I just destroy them or are they saleable. I certainly do not want them at my restaurant.
Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Heather Scurr

Dear ***** -

That's the thing, I don't think that the shapes are Royal Albert shapes either, they rather lack the elegance of what I am used to. To be frank, I think that RD/RA licensed the transfer pattern to a company that produced lesser quality wares which were then offered at a price point lower that the finer bone china we are used to, it's the difference between buying high fashion straight off the runway and the watered down version in a fast fashion store, it may carry a similar label but the quality isn't the same. It would have been beyond ignorant for the Essential Box Co. to print forgeries, as both companies were UK based they would have been sued for copyright infringement. Those documents would have been public and I can't find any record of a lawsuit between them. Being said, clearly this partner-ship didn't last longer than one year. If the intention is/was to sell them in your restaurant then I think you have to accept they are of a lesser quality and sell them as such, or turn them into cute planters.

Let me know your thoughts when you have had a chance to go over this.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Dear ***** - This took a bit to find but here is a contract relating to the revocation of licensing for The Essential Box Co. by Royal Doulton. Check out pages 6 and 7, which state that RD did license the Essential Box Co. has the rights to certain RD and RA designs from " 1 October 2004 to 31 December 2007 with the “product” to be on the market by Spring 2005" but then discusses issues which I think relate to RDs choice not to renew the contract.... deep stuff, this has been a journey!

Erin-Marie