Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a question on one of the ones you did for me this…

For Jennifer only- I have...
For Jennifer only- I have a question on one of the ones you did for me this weekend - it should show it’s still open
I found these 2 from the same customer as the other African pieces- any age, origin, value it would be helpful
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpgimage7.jpgimage8.jpgimage8.jpgimage9.jpgimage9.jpg
3/13/2018
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My sincere apology for the delay--I was out on the road all day yesterday dealing with a weather loss to a collection. I'm reviewing right now.

Jennifer

The box is Ashanti, early 20th century. The value is approximately $300.00.

The figure is bronze, Ife/Benin. A warrior ancestor figure, late 19th century I believe. $250.00.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Do you know what the figure on top of the box represents?

I'm a little unclear on what the man in the center is holding in each hand--can you tell? Or can you take an overall side view?

I really can’t tell either - I can take a side view tomorrow or later today

Sure, I'll see what I can figure from that. These are all fairly unique, typically based on the memory of an ancestor, or a person's own favorite activities or hopes for the future. So it can be a bit hard to puzzle out but I'll try later with a side view.

Thanks! I'm logging out now but I'll start running searches on this tomorrow morning.

Jennifer

Thank you!

Thanks for your patience...I've been rummaging all day.

As we discussed regarding another of your items, these various boxes are used to store gold dust. This particular figural shape is often used for gold weights and gold boxes...I find many examples...the hard part is finding an explanation of what the man is doing!

http://www.npcollectables.org.uk/a1-gallery3.asp?roomID=822&pictureID=78409

I finally found this link, which states it's a figure playing two drums.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Thank you!

You're very welcome!

AppraiserJM