Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Going through a deceased relatives things I found a New

Going through a deceased...

Going through a deceased relatives things I found a brown New Testament pocket edition that has Franklin Roosevelt's message to the troops and signature. It is a printed not hand written signature, I was just seeing what I could find out about it. Would you know anything about the significance of the upside down red triangle on the front cover?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No, one corner is bent and worn the front edge of the spine is worn and writing (some marked out) on the inside presentation page.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the images, I would please need to see a more clear, in-focus of the Roosevelt page in this Bible as well as the title/publisher page(s) too.

~Nora

Are these any better?
20180312_181956.jpg2018031...jpg20180312_182044.jpg2018031...jpg20180312_181956.jpg2018031...jpg20180312_182044.jpg2018031...jpg

Excellent, thank you for the additional images and for your patience.

This is a U.S. Government issued pocket bible, of just the New Testament that was given to American soldiers during World War II.

There were variations printed, such as a Roman Catholic version of the New Testament and a Protestant version of such. These were printed between 1942 - 1945. They contained a unfilled page for name and address as well as next of kin along with an introductory message from President Franklin D. Roosevelt with an auto-pen signature. There should also be additional prayers and hymns contained such as the Star Spangled Banner and American the Beautiful. In terms of value, these currently sell for $10 - $20 on today's market. The Soldier's Bible that sells for higher are the one's with a metal cover, which some servicement claimed saved their lives from a bullet when they were carried in their pockets.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you but do you know the significance of the red triangle on the front cover?
I will do the rating following this question being answered.

Historically, a red inverted triangle was a designation of a prisoner of a Nazi War Camp, specifically an enemy Prisoner of War captured by the Germans.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora