Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

3/12/2018
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 1 month ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings and good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I would be delighted to assist you in determining the value of your Graff diamond ring, it is quite a stunning cocktail ring. If you give me a few moments, I shall return with your answer.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

The first thing I would recommend is that the diamonds in this ring be professionally graded if at all possible, as I am sure you are aware bright, clear and clean diamonds will be valued higher than other examples. Being said, as we all know, Graff is a top tier name. For a ring of this caliber, this is something that should be done in person.

That being said, I chose to compare your example to verifiable prices achieved at reputable public auctions by diamond rings by Graff, which have similar sized center stones.

Last year Christie's sold this solitaire ring of approx. 1.66cts flanked by heart shaped diamonds for $15,000USD. A similar ring (perhaps the same ring) is currently being offered on 1st Dibs with a retail price of $27,300USD. Not knowing how you intent to sell your ring, I mention this as an example of an average mark-up from auction purchase to gallery price. This 2cts ring sold at auction for $11282USD.

Your fabulous ring.... there is simply nothing like it on the market but if we compare it critically to that which has been sold before it I would expect it to sell at auction in the $20K - $25K range, if it were a 2.5 to 3cts stone you begin to see numbers like $43K and $52K. At a 20K - $25K auction price, your retail would be expected to be in the $50K. That being said, the price you would invest in having this piece properly GIA certified will be worth the investment.

If you have any follow-up questions about this. do let me know as I strive for 5-star service and want you to be satisfied. If you feel that I have answered your question, please rate my service using the 'Star' method.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much
For your thorough reply!
The examples were very helpful nevertheless my stine is .83 ct (less then one) so maybe not very valuable.
It does get to 2 ct inckuding all tue small stones around it.
Maybe not that valuable?

Ahhhh.... I miss-interpreted your original request and thought that you were indicating that the center stone was 2cts, the diamond 'rays' additional. Because this example is clearly custom and the 'rays' such unusual cuts to see on a diamond I do think it's average value is likely closer to the first example I listed which has a 1.66cts center stone with the side heart shaped diamond being of additional weight.. Being said, your ring is so unusual that nothing like it has been offered on the market before. However, let me look into the average value of some smaller carat examples and reply once more. As a follow-up question, do you have any indication of when this example was made or have any of the original paperwork or box?

I was thinking about your ring after I'd answered last night and want to restate that I absolutely think the diamonds should be GIA graded because a high quality 2carat diamond can be more valuable than a flawed 3carat diamond.

I'm going to continue my research and see what I can add for you.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much!
Rita

Dear Rita,

Because I think your setting is a unique Graff piece, I decided to direct my research into other rings with a starburst design which, while not a Graff were high quality examples of a carat size similar to yours. Let's begin with this example which is just over 2 carats combined weight and which sold at auction for $16,730USD. Then, there is this Diamond 'starburst' ring which has a combined carat weight of 3.87 by Formula and which sold at auction for $20,910USD. Lastly, this Diamond starburst ring by Kurt Wayne, total carat weight is a smidgen larger than yours and which sold at auction for $16,250USD. Considering these I would estimate yours, in current condition, without a GIA to sell at auction in the range of $16,000 to $18,000, with the diamond property certified it is possible that you could add another $5k - $8k to this estimate.

When you have a moment let me know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so mich!
I believe this is the best and more accurate stratedy.
Thanks again
Rita

You are most welcome Rita. Truly, it is a stunning example by any maker, but being by Graff, that's quite the cherry on the sundae. Remember, if you are thinking of placing a Retail price on it, while you can really set it at any price you are comfortable with, two to three times an auction result is relatively common.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace