Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique two panel Japanese screen made out of teak…

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have an antique two panel Japanese screen made out of teak or ebony. The pattern on the screen have birds, branches and flowers made out of ivory and some kind of shell. It is signed but it�s in Japanese. The other side of screen is painted. How can I find out the value of it? The appraisal I have from 1973 valued it at $1340. My mother passed away at 95 and her grandmother brought it back from somewhere and my mom got it when her mother died.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I don�t know really what to ask? Maybe who the artist is that signed it. I can send pictures, if you want.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos you can send?

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Let me know you got them.
0430A529-46D5-4C2F-B2DD...jpeg0430A5...jpegCC20D8BE-73E6-484A-9BAC...jpegCC20D8...jpeg2C9C65F4-610A-4EBF-8532...jpeg2C9C65...jpegBF128479-A582-488F-A980...jpegBF1284...jpegB0565996-49F7-49FE-A40D...jpegB05659...jpegBD662A72-BFD8-4AFA-86EF...jpegBD662A...jpegD3D66122-B7B8-4759-8426...jpegD3D661...jpegDF568723-436F-4287-ADF5...jpegDF5687...jpeg

Hi. I did. Thank you. If you'll give some time to look them over, I'll see what I can put together for you.

.

Thank you.

Diana

Hi. I hate to ask for more pictures, but do you have one of the whole screen, not just closeups?

I will do my best. There is one I thought I sent but didn’t turn out too good. Give me a few minutes.

It doesn't have to be perfect. I was just curious as to the overall framing style and look of it. I'm sure anything you take will be fine. =)

Nope. That's perfect. I just wanted to see what kind of frame/shape style the panels were in. That's great. Thank you.

Hi. Thank you again for all the pictures. I really appreciate it.

.

What you have is a 2 panel Japanese folding lacquered wood screen with inlaid bone and ivory. The inlay art is known as Shibayama. Your screen looks to date to the Meiji period circa 1890/1900. It features an inlaid design of birds on the trailing branches of a flowering cherry tree. It's framed in a red lacquered ground border with cherry blossom flowers. One panels does have a carved seal mark that is the artist's mark, but I haven't been able to match that to a specific artist.

.

The panels sit above a carved panel featuring a reticulated flying bird and floral design and an interesting geometric diamond design.

.

The reverse side feature a continuous painted scene of birds in a flowering cherry tree along what looks like rose mallows (hibiscus) and what looks like maybe cosmos flowers along a sort of stream on a red/orange lacquered ground.

.

The wood is a little hard to ID since I can't inspect it, but it's most likely a painted hardwood, like teak. The screen still looks like it has the original casters, which is fantastic.

.

Here's a few slightly similar ones:

.

https://imgur.com/a/VyeBo

https://imgur.com/a/wQEGg

.

Given the condition, it should be worth about $1600 to $2100 at auction (including ebay) and about $2500 to $3000 in a private sale. It will have an insurance value of $3750.

.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the bottom and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great night.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser