Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an almost complete set of Hutschenreuther Self Turvel…

Hi! I have...

Hi! I have an almost complete set of Hutschenreuther Self Turvel china that was brought home from Nuremberg at the end of WWII. It was regimental china, given to my father from his Commanding Officer. I am trying to find out it's value.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It's marked with the Insignia of the 18th Regiment of the !zt Division.

3/12/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

That's a nice set. If it's not too much trouble, do you think you can give me list of exactly what pieces you have? I know you said it's a near complete set, but depending on just what pieces you have, the value can vary a bit.

Thanks,
Diana

There are 7 dinner and dessert plates, 8 soup bowls, coffee pot, tea pot, sugar, creamer, ashtray, various tureens and platters of varying sizes, relish dishes.

Great. Thank you. The insignia does have a factor in the value. If you'll give me a few minutes, I'll take a look and get all the values together for you.

~Diana

Thank you.

Thank you! That's great.

.

That mark was used from 1925 to 1939. So, it's entirely possible the CO had for a few years and then gave it to him or it could have been in storage within the company for a few years before being distributed. Wartime kind of messed up production and shipments, especially with companies based in and around Germany.

.

Turvel was not only a pattern on it's own, but was also a shaped used for other patterns. Hutschenreuther did quite a few variations of their china. They made a lot of specialty china, like military insignia, restaurant ware and even special designs for hotels. There's actually more than a few Hutschenreuther pieces that carry swastika and third reich marks on the back. All of these variations can easily be worth more than the standard patterns because, you're right, they are more rare. You rarely see large sets, like yours. More often than not, it's just a piece here and there.

.

For a partial set with marks dating back to WW2 and carrying a regiment insignia and blue trim, you'll be looking at a resale value of about $2300 to $2600. It would have an insurance value of $3500.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Thank you so much.

You're very welcome. I'm glad could help. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it.

~Diana