Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have 3 books: Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Globe Edition,

I have 3 books...

I have 3 books : Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Globe Edition, The Marble Faun, French and Italian Note Books, Four Volumes in One with Illustrations, Boston, Houghton Mifflin and Com. Riverside Press, Cambridge, Copyright 1860 Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1871 James R. Osgood and Company. I have two more

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Look very old, leather binding

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Thank you for the great details on your Hawthorne book. If you can give me the same kind of details of your 2 other books, I'll be glad to provide values for all of them.

~Diana

Here are the other two:
works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Globe Edition, Twice-Told Tale, The House of Seven Gables, The Snow Image, Four Volumes in One with Illustrations, Boston, Houghton Mifflin and Com. The Riverside Press, Cambridge, Copyright 1851 Nathaniel Hawthorne,
1879 Rose Hawthorne LathropWorks of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Globe Edition, American Note Books--English Note Books. Four Volumes in One.With Illustrations. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin and Com. The Riverside Press, Cambridge Copyright 1868, 1870 by Sophia Hawthorne
See above

That's great. Thank you. If you'll give me some time, I'll get the values together for you.

~Diana

are you getting this

Hi. I did respond to you. I said "That's great. Thank you. If you'll give me some time, I'll get the values together for you.

~Diana"

.

You should be notified by email when I respond with your answer.

~Diana

Thank you. If was hard to see if the Send button work when I tried to send you the information about the other 2 books. I wll wait for your answers

Hi. I got everything. Thank you again for all the information and thank you for your patience.

.

On your first book, Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Globe Edition, it was published as a 6 volume set by Houghton Mifflin/Riverside. It was actually a condensed version of an earlier publishing. With this set, each volume actually contained 4 volumes in one. It was published in both a more affordable cloth version and a higher-end leather bound set.

.

For just the leather volume containing "The Marble Faun, French and Italian Note Books", it will be worth about about $30 to $50 in fair to good condition (spine damage, foxing, spotting, minor tears, etc). It'll be worth about $60 to $85 in very good to excellent condition (very minor shelf wear, intact spine, no tears or rips, no stains, etc).

On your next book, the volume containing "Twice-Told Tale, The House of Seven Gables, The Snow Image", it will be worth about about $25 to $45 in fair to good condition. It'll be worth about $55 to $75 in very good to excellent condition.

.

On your next book, the volume containing "American Note Books--English Note Books", it will be worth about about $40 to $65 in fair to good condition. It'll be worth about $70 to $100 in very good to excellent condition.

.

You could sell them as a set. Generally, most collectors either want an entire set or are looking to pick up single volumes as replacements for incomplete sets. You could try selling them as partial set. As one set, they'd be worth about $100 to $125 in fair to good condition. It'll be worth about $200 to $250 in very good to excellent condition.

.

If you do decide to sell them, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your books yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out there, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great afternoon.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana