Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only Export Mug - 6 Round x 7 H 8 Photos attached Thank…

for Robert S onlyRobertExport Mug...
for Robert S onlyRobertExport Mug - 6 Round x 7 H8 Photos attachedThank youMatt
1624A (1).jpg1624A (1).jpg1624A (10).jpg1624A (...jpg1624A (4).jpg1624A (4).jpg1624A (5).jpg1624A (5).jpg1624A (6).jpg1624A (6).jpg1624A (8).jpg1624A (8).jpg1624A (9).jpg1624A (9).jpg1624A (3).jpg1624A (3).jpg
3/12/2018
Josie-Mod

Hello, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for Robert S onlythank you
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

Just letting you know I got your beautiful export mug Q. and all the photos.

Is that a little patch of restoration on the rim, or am I seeing things?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me take a very close look today and I will let you knowThank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You appear to be correct

Hi Matt,

Great thanks for confirming that. The small restoration is not a huge problem as the rest is in such perfect condition, particularly the handle, which is a rarity, as this is where 99% of the restoration one sees is usually located.

Both the twisted & reeded, double-strap handles and the high relief carving & modelling of the foliate terminals are a work of art in themselves. This, and the urn and the floral swag border, date it to the last quarter of the 1700s.

The size of this tankard, at 7" tall, is also a rarity, sometimes referred to as a "toasting cup". It must be quite a heft, too I imagine, at least a couple of pounds of porcelain.

As for value, this quite similar example, smaller than yours (at 6" tall) and one small chip, sold at auction for $1000 which is about right for this one.

Considering the rare size of yours and its near-perfect condition, especially the gold which is always the first thing to go, yours would sell at auction in the range of $900 - $1400. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $2750.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
RobertCan you describe the pattern on the mug?Thank youMatt

Sure, here goes:

• A large cylindrical Chinese export porcelain tankard, dating to the late 1700s, with applied twisted & reeded, double-strap handles and high relief carved floral and foliate terminals, over-glaze decorated in famille rose (fencai) and gold enamels, fronted with a covered urn in rust red, embellished with flowers & framed in an oval bead line, having a group of scattered altar-fruits and -flowers on each side, and headed with an elaborate border of floral swags suspended from a broad gold diaper-patterned band and red rim line.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well said - thank you very much
Robert S.
Robert S.