Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only - thought I would see what you know about tea

for Robert S onlyHello Robert...
for Robert S onlyHello Robert - thought I would see what you know about tea caddies...Photos attached (total of 6) - please let me know if you do not get all of themThank youMatt
2003 (1).jpg2003 (1).jpg2003 (6).jpg2003 (6).jpg2003 (5).jpg2003 (5).jpg2003 (4).jpg2003 (4).jpg2003 (3).jpg2003 (3).jpg2003 (2).jpg2003 (2).jpg
3/12/2018
Josie-Mod

Hello, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

for Robert S onlythank you
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

Got the tea caddy Q. and all six pictures.

Thanks so much.

Robert.

Looking forward to your thoughts on thisThank you

Good morning Matt,

This pretty little tea chest or tea caddy is a rare find in melon form like this. It's an example of Chinese export lacquerware with its characteristic carved dragon feet and paktong (Chinese pewter) fitted liner that date it to the 1830s. Looking at the perfect glossy black finish inside the cover where it's been preserved from light and wear, it's fun to imagine what a jewel this tea chest must have been when it was all new. But then it's equally wonderful to think of all those hands that used it and cherished it over the years, and produced the unique and inimitable look that only the best part of two centuries can create.

It would be described as:

• A rare melon form Chinese export lacquerware tea caddy and liner circa 1830s, comprising six radially lobed segments, the face of each decorated with a (faded) scenic panel cartouche framed in gilt florals, the gilding repeated on the cover topped with a carved stem finial, opening to reveal an original conforming fitted paktong metal liner, embellished with engraved decoration, the chest raised on carved dragon feet.

There are number of minor condition issues, namely the losses to the finial and the carved 'wings' of the dragon feet, the liner is missing its lid and the scenic panels have darkened almost to the point of being invisible. Having said that, these melon form examples are so hard to come by that only the pickiest of collectors would find these a reason not to bid at auction in the range of $800 - $1,250 which would be a fair range for this one. I would therefore insure it for $2500.

Hope this helps!

Robert.

Robert S.
Thank you very much

You're welcome, thank YOU!