Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only - here are photos of a fun little item - curious what…

for Robert S onlyHello Robert...
for Robert S onlyHello Robert - here are photos of a fun little item - curious what your experise says it isAttached 5 photos please let me know if you do not receive them allThank you
2002 (5).jpg2002 (5).jpg2002 (3).jpg2002 (3).jpg2002 (1).jpg2002 (1).jpg2002 (2).jpg2002 (2).jpg2002 (4).jpg2002 (4).jpg
3/12/2018
Josie-Mod

Hello, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Matt,

This is a great piece! Thanks for all the photos (five came through).

Can you tell me if the clay body is translucent? Test it by pushing it up to a light bulb and seeing if it glows through to the other side.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will doThanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does not appear to be translucent

This one is going to take some detective work without any makers mark. However we can narrow down the field considerably by knowing it's not translucent, which confirms it's earthenware rather than porcelain. That eliminates China and English soft paste porcelain (bone china) such as Derby, Worcester and Chelsea Bow who all made naturalistic bird form tureens in the late 1700s to early 1800s. We can also eliminate Continental porcelain such as Dresden, Capodimonte etc. It could be Staffordshire earthenware, but Staffordshire eyes are always painted in a particular way, never surrounded by a dotted line like this, and their birds are usually modeled sitting on nests or in baskets.

It could be Italian, but typically they designed their tureens with a notch for a ladle.

Looking at the form, with the bird standing on a small mound base, it's very similar to those made in Strasbourg, France in the period of ***** *****nong (1755 - 1759) during which time he modeled and painted bird-form tureens of remarkable artistic merit. This one is not by him, but it certainly could be called 'Hannong inspired', and therefore is most likely to be French, in my opinion.

I would describe it as:

• A fine bird-form earthenware tureen, possibly French, circa early- to mid-1800s, in the style of ***** *****nong of Strasbourg, naturalistically modeled as a crested game-bird, the cover applied with a plum (or olive) finial/handle, the bird posed resting on a mound base, painted in colors on a white tin-glaze ground.

The condition of this piece is nothing short of astonishing. Tin glazed faience is fragile and easily chipped, but I can see virtually no damage at all. To find one of these at all is a feat, but one in this condition is a rarity indeed.

I can see this piece selling at auction in the range of $700 - $1000. Full retail/replacement/insurance value $2000.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.