Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

3/12/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is a Chinese or Thailand brass coal iron ladle with wooden handle

for burning incense, circa 1890, having a value of $35 to $45.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Awesome information, thank you.

You are so welcome! Do click the stars for this one, thanks!

I really appreciate it!

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Thank you for the request.

In researching the Iron, I found these are Antique cast bronze Chinese irons, that are shaped like a Tibetan monk’s hat and would have held hot coals. This was used to iron Silk. They would put a small amount of hot coals in the iron, and iron their silk items with this, they controlled the heat by the amount of hot coal they used. Yours appears to be from the mid 1800's.

It has a current market value of $120.00-125.00, at some High End Antique shops and higher end Antique Sites they are selling for more then this.

.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. There is also Rubylane which is a higher end site. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser