Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

3/12/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please open the front and the back and send clear in focus images of the face and the works at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Please also add a view of the works, that is where a maker name and a serial number will be engraved.

what is the works?

The mechanical gears that make the watch run

ok

Take your time, no rush

it was valued at $2000 in 1988 with no chain

It appears to have Central Park engraved on it. I do also see a stamp mark, would it be possible to get a clear, in-focus, extreme close up of that mark?

where is the stamp mark i only see numbers

There is a word starting with S. that is stamped in a rectangle form, to the left of the word Central Park

will send what i have taken as i can't see it, the only s i see is s---f like start to finish

Ok, understood. Please allow me some time to look this over for you.

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

I see it now, yes, start to finish, not a maker mark.

This is an interesting 19th century pocketwatch, especially for the engraving of Central Park, which could indicate the famed park in New York City which was built in 1857. It quite possibly could have been used by an employee of the park who handled lanterns, lamps, patrolled or tuned the clocks. It is unusual to have no maker marks on the works nor the face.

I used to be acquainted with the head of the Central Park Consrvancy itself and spent some time there researching, they do have offices and an historical archive and they may be able to impart some useful information on this pocketwatch. Here is a link for you to their contact page: http://www.centralparknyc.org/about/contact-us.html

Currently, a fair market value is $5000 - $7000. If a provenance or history of past ownership information be discovered on this, it could potentially raise the sale value.

If interested in selling after possibly finding more historical information, I recommend contacting Keno Auctions in NYC (you may know them as the twins on Antique Roadshow). Here is a link to their site for you: http://kenoauctions.com/

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

~Nora

it was my great great granfathers and he was german

Thank you for the additional information, the watch however, is likely not German though.

i just filled out the contact form

Excellent, I hope they contact you and please keep me apprised if they do.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora

my great great grandfather was born in australia in 1879 and died in 1923, so he could have worked in america

You may be able to find that out through the Central Park Conservancy.

There is also a genealogy category here on justanswer too.

If you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora