Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'm trying to determine the value of a vase that appears to…

I'm trying to determine...

I'm trying to determine the value of a vase that appears to be Royal Bonn.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

There's a centered gold emblem on the bottom with a crown at the top, the intitials FMin a vaguely oval shape beneath the crown, with the date 1755 and Bonn, GERMANY beneath that

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The most likely source is an ancestor who came to the US from Southwest Germany in about 1834 and traveled back and forth to the continent to get new stocks of luxury items he peddled in America

3/12/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Here are the photos, Nora. The vase is about 6-1/2" tall.Regards,
Bob
DSC_1156.JPGDSC_1156.JPGDSC_1152.JPGDSC_1152.JPGDSC_1155.JPGDSC_1155.JPGDSC_1157.JPGDSC_1157.JPGDSC_1158.JPGDSC_1158.JPGDSC_1159.JPGDSC_1159.JPG

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

This is an antique "Royal Bonn" turn of the 19th/20th century porcelain vase from Germany that was produced by the Franz Anton Mehlem factory.

The 1755 year in the mark was used by Mehlem for when the pottery factory that he bought was first used as such, it is not the year the vase was made nor even when he himself was really in business. The Mehlem factory ran from 1836 - 1921 and was then purchased by Villeroy & Boch and subsequently closed in 1931.

The country of origin name in the mark, "Germany", indicates this was produced after 1892 when the McKinley Tariff decreed that all objects have a country of origin stated.

The impression stamped numbers are the in-house inventory numbers for the design shape mold.

The hand written codes were in-house quality control numbers pertaining to the worker responsible for decorating the piece.

The decoration is transferprinted and then embellished by hand in color.

These used to sell for significantly higher a few decades ago, however these are currently slumped on the market. This was further impacted by the Recession.

On today's market, this could sell for a high of $75 - $175.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

I had already found most of the background information in my first search on the Internet, but the potential pricing information was very useful.

You are welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora

Nora
Somehow this has gotten out of synch. I've already left a rating.

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora