Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Could you please give me some info and an evaluation on the…

Hi, could you please give...
Hi, could you please give me some info and an evaluation on the following pictures?
picseabis2.jpgpicseab...jpgpicseabis.jpgpicseabis.jpgpictree.jpgpictree.jpgpictree2.jpgpictree2.jpgpictree3.jpgpictree3.jpgpicdonk.jpgpicdonk.jpgpicdonk2.jpgpicdonk2.jpg
I have withdrawn the "Sea Biscuit" picture from this question and posed it separately. Thanks.
I have also removed the tree picture from this question.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/13/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Thank you for limiting what you are asking about in this one single question.

Multiple items often lead to confusion.

I cannot read the signature here on the one you are asking about. Do you know the name of the artist. Is there any information on the back....numbers, words?

Thank you. I will research that name or anything similar.

In the future, it is best to let a professional framer remove a painting from its frame. So much damage can be done by others.

It does look like a watercolor and ink.

Kind regards,

Doris

One more thing please....

Take a good magnifying glass up to a darker part of the piece. Do you see any tiny white spots or a pattern of white spots?

No dots that I can see.

Since it has no tiny spots or info on the back, we can assume it is an original watercolor with what appears to be ink accents.

Unfortunately, after searching through 6 artist databases including online subscription sites and directory books (one has over 2000 pages in tiny print of listed artists), I was not able to locate any reasonable spelling of this artist's signature.

We must conclude that the artist is "unlisted."

This does not mean your painting is not well done. It simply means that he/she has not been recognized nationally of internationally nor have any of his/her work been part of a major exhibition.

As an original painting by an unlisted artist, this 20thC watercolor has an estimated retail value of $450-650.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************