Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a complete set of my grandmother's Castleton China…

Customer Question
I have a complete...

I have a complete set of my grandmother's Castleton China June. Place set of 8. What's the value

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was in a box of other stuff. Complete set but gravy bowl has a small chip. I have pics. She also has other items. I have no use for them

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

No I'm just looking to sell it if it's worth it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/11/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE plate showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.
Please tell me the following -

Your set serves 8 people.
How many pieces does each person have?
What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Total of 8 servings
20180311_165406_041.jpg2018031...jpg20180311_165406_042.jpg2018031...jpg20180311_165406_043.jpg2018031...jpg20180311_163220.jpg2018031...jpg20180311_163232.jpg2018031...jpg20180311_163218.jpg2018031...jpg

Please tell me the following -

Your set serves 8 people.
How many pieces does each person have?

Kind regards,
Doris

One big plate, one small plate, one tiny plate, on cover cup plate, one cup, one bowl, 3 servings plates, gravy bowl and sugar. All there. Total of 8 place settings.

Thank you for the photos and information. Please allow a few minutes for me to research current values of your pattern and type my complete answer.

The porcelain pattern June by Castleton was produced 1950-1966.

Your set in this pattern has an estimated retail value of $700-800.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com
Replacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Packing porcelain from Haviland International:

1. Start with a layer of packing material such as bubble wrap, packing pellets or poly foam at the bottom of a sturdy box. For shipping some items it may be better to use more than one interior carton if more than one item is being shipped.

2. Heavy items, such as pottery, platters, tureens or vases must be wrapped in large bubble wrap (two layers is even better) and placed in smaller separate boxes before adding them to the larger outer shipping carton. This is known as DOUBLE BOXING, a box inside a box.

3. Begin packing the box with the heaviest items, then proceed with the lighter items as you fill the box.

4. Wrap plates, bowls and serving pieces separately in bubble wrap. Heavier pieces and delicate items need to be wrapped in large bubble wrap. To ensure that the wrapping stays in place, secure it with a small strip of tape or, better yet, rubber bands. Rubber bands are easier to remove, as they do not require a knife or razor blade, and will stretch and shrink as the ambient temperature changes.

5. Fill any empty space with styrofoam peanuts (or crumpled newspaper, or ...) to prevent contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

6. Add a final layer of packing material to the top of the box before you seal it to prevent the contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

7. Label the outer shipping carton with FRAGILE labels.

8. If you are willing to drop the box to the floor from a standing position after you have packed it then you have probably packed it correctly.

Following these instructions carefully will prevent problems for both buyers and sellers.

Depending on the value or importance of the pieces being shipped, you may wish to consider using plastic boxes (Tupperware, etc.) as your interior containers after bubble wrapping each piece individually. These are much less likely to be crushed if the parcel receives rough handling in shipment.

It is recommended to use Priority Mail insured or UPS for your shipments*. Parcel Post may take up to three weeks to reach the destination and the parcels are handled more frequently.

* It is not recommended to use FedEx to ship porcelain and glass. The fine print on their website states that their limit of liability for these commodities is $100, regardless of how much insurance is purchased at the time of shipment.

UPS shipping guidelines for porcelain and glass require that each piece be surrounded on all sides with two inches of packing material. This may seem excessive, but you will realize that this is only to try to guarantee safe arrival, especially when you open an improperly packed parcel that contains broken pieces.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************