Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old egin pocket watch and id like to get an idea…

I have an old...

I have an old egin pocket watch and id like to get an idea of what its worth

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I can give serial numbers, etc. its not working and the hands are missing but i have a feeling that this could still be a valuable timepiece

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

How can i check to see if its real gold as well

3/11/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature to add pictures of the watch, dial, inner case (where there will be marks, words or symbols) and the movement.
The serial number on a watch is on the movement (gears area) and not on the case. Those are always two different numbers.

Add pictures one at a time( add one, hit send, then do the next).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

TO GET TO THE SERIAL NUMBER
To open the back cuvee( dust cover), you can use the edge of your fingernail or the edge of a

sharp knife at what would be the 2 o'clock position if you looked at the cuvee in terms of a clock face.

There is a raised lip in the region that allows for leverage to pop the case open.

The words on the inner case will read the maker of the case and an insignificant case number.

If it reads GUARANTEED or WARRANTED 25 YEARs it is not gold. If it reads 14k or 18k then it is gold.

If it reads 14kGF it is not gold.

Will you be able to add pictures or give me serial number from the movement?

Serial number#4224000. Weather on the outer casing is 1 seven seven 4 1 0 9 I believe then there's all kinds of writing but as I said there is and that's a show you the picture there is no hands on it and I don't see anywhere where it says that anything about the gold thank you for your help

This is an 1891 Elgin open face size 18s pocket watch

with a 7-jewel grade 73 movement. The watch has no hands

and has several cracks on the porcelain dial. This is a gold-filled watch

and not gold. The value of this watch is $65 resale in this condition.

One with hands and perfect dial sells for $95 by comparison.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Rarewares