Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting of a nude woman mostly a profile

I have a painting...

I have a painting of a nude woman mostly a profile perspective, painted from just below the waist up to the head with her left hand resting on her head. This painting is about 19 inches tall and about 15 inches wide (frame not included) that appears to be oil on canvas and is signed by Rick Gonzalez. I inherited this painting from my mother and I believe she purchased it sometime in the 1960's but I have no idea how old it might be. I understand that there is/was a Filipino artist by the name of Rick Gonzalez but I cannot find out much more about his work or value of his art. If I send you a picture attached to an email or get you an image of this painting by some other means is it possible for you to give me more information about the artist and what the value of the painting may be? If not, can you direct me to a source that might be able to give me more information about Rick Gonzalez and this picture? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. I'm guessing I should send the picture to***@******.*** and it will get to you but please let me know. My email address is ******* @gmail.com if you want to contact me. Thanks for your help. *******  ******* 

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I think that is all the info I can provide at this time.

3/11/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Is this one of his Nude Paintings on Velvet?

No it appears to be oil on canvas

Ok thank you, ***** ***** is this?

19 inches tall by 15 inches wide frame not included

Thank you

I will look this up be right back

If it would help I can take a picture of the painting with my smart phone and send it as an attachment to an email or?

I am very familiar with his work, that is not needed. He is in several of the art data bases we pay to access also.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Rick Gonzalez Painting, Nude, circa: 1960's, 19 x 15 Framed has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $400.00-550.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $200.00-250.00, if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $400.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $550.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Thanks for the quick response. Do you think this painting would sell for more if offered thru a art gallery, say one in San Francisco? We in northern Nevada so don't really have access to art dealers for auction houses etc but could send the painting someplace to be sold. It's just not our kind of art and has been sitting in a closet since about 1990 so we feel it's time to let someone else have it to enjoy.

Yes it might, you could contact one or two of them to feel them out, see what they think. They would know the market in their area. They will charge a commission, so be sure to inquire as to how much. You might also list if for sale on one of the sites, Ebay has a world wide shopping market. So does Amazon Market place.

I would check around with a few Galleries.

Glenda