Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My father in law has some things he is selling on a garage…

My father in law...

My father in law has some things he is selling on a garage sale and I’m afraid he could get more for them. He has a few silver or stirling silver challaces or goblets. He also has some kind of old copper or brass water pitchers? Not sure if that is what they are, but could send pictures later.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

His wife died in 1975 and has left the house as is since then. It’s like a shrine of her when you walk-in the door. He even has a couch that was never sat on. I don’t know what else to tell you.

3/11/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help. You are so right to come here, anything marked sterling is certainly not a yard sale item.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I can do about three matched items per question so let's keep it organized by having you list as item 1, item 2, item 3 for example and try to name your photos the same way so that I know which piece I am looking at the bottom of. I think this will work best to keep me accurate in my replies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks I will be going over there in about an hour or so, I will get pictures at that time and send them to you.

Great. Look for the words STERLING or the number 925 on silver items from America.

European silver is marked differently with a series of symbols (lion, lion head, anchor for English) and half moon and crown for German as some examples.

Some glass and china has value as well. Basically, look at the bottom of everything he might sell. Any glassware with an etched Waterford mark (hard to see) is valuable. Porcelain figurines marked Lladro are of value, Hummels/Goebel figurines are worth about $10 to $30 each. Any dinnerware or teapots with a blue crossed swords mark is valuable (Meissen/German).

Just some examples of what to look at, good luck and hope to hear from you later.

1) A silver over brass etched goblet made in the 1960's-1980's and sold by World Gift ZY of India having a value of $5.

3) 1965 Relpo of Japan 'head vase' clown planter imported to the Us by Samson Imports, value of $20 to $25.

(never got an item #2)

2) silver over brass tall engraved goblet from India, 1960's, value of $10

Does this have the thermos?

4) A Bugaloos lunch box from 1971, Sid and Marty Croft/Aladdin Industries, rust and wear, value of $45.

If you had the Thermos, $100.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thermos

4) Then you are at about $45 for the lunchbox. A great Ebay item! In perfect condition, these sell for $145.

5) does this have markings?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Made by mattel

5) 1971 Talk Up Doll by Mattel. If she still talks when you pull the string, $25 on Ebay.

If she does not work, $5 yard sale.

6) A 1910 shell-motif press-back dark oak rocking chair with turned spindle back

and upholstered seat. Value of $75.

I did more items than I said I would in one question, so more would need to be in a new question after you rate me for this one, thanks!

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

If you would like to use me for any future questions,

put ForCustomer/strong> in the text of your question.

Rarewares
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m at work now, but there is a couch and silver ware set that I’m interested about even though we do not plan on selling them.

Great and I'll be glad to help. We have concluded this particular question

with a limit of items, so when you are ready with pictures, start a NEW question

and put ForCustomerOnly in the writing so we can work together again.

Rarewares
Rarewares