Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My mum has some royal staffordshire rural scene pieces and…

My mum has some...

My mum has some royal staffordshire rural scene pieces and wonder what they might be worth

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

There are lots of different pieces

3/11/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE plate showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.
Please tell me the following -
How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings.)
How many pieces does each person have?
What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi, i am leeanne, my mum inherited from her mother these pieces of royal staffordshire rural scene, one cup has a slight crack to plates have cracks on the back and the big bowl has a chip otherwise the rest is fine, there are 7 tea cups, 9 saucers, 10 plates, 11 bowls, 1 gravy boat, 1 creamer, 1 milk one i think another small one, 1 big bowl, 1 bowl with lid, 5 smaller plates, 9 bread and butter plates 1 oval plate

Thank you. Please give a few minutes to calculate the value and type my complete answer.

This set is made by A J Wilkinson, Ltd of Burslem, Staffordshire UK. Their mark here was used 1930s-50s.

The estimated retail value of your set as described is $1400-1700 USD.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com
Replacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Packing porcelain from Haviland International:

1. Start with a layer of packing material such as bubble wrap, packing pellets or poly foam at the bottom of a sturdy box. For shipping some items it may be better to use more than one interior carton if more than one item is being shipped.

2. Heavy items, such as pottery, platters, tureens or vases must be wrapped in large bubble wrap (two layers is even better) and placed in smaller separate boxes before adding them to the larger outer shipping carton. This is known as DOUBLE BOXING, a box inside a box.

3. Begin packing the box with the heaviest items, then proceed with the lighter items as you fill the box.

4. Wrap plates, bowls and serving pieces separately in bubble wrap. Heavier pieces and delicate items need to be wrapped in large bubble wrap. To ensure that the wrapping stays in place, secure it with a small strip of tape or, better yet, rubber bands. Rubber bands are easier to remove, as they do not require a knife or razor blade, and will stretch and shrink as the ambient temperature changes.

5. Fill any empty space with styrofoam peanuts (or crumpled newspaper, or ...) to prevent contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

6. Add a final layer of packing material to the top of the box before you seal it to prevent the contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

7. Label the outer shipping carton with FRAGILE labels.

8. If you are willing to drop the box to the floor from a standing position after you have packed it then you have probably packed it correctly.

Following these instructions carefully will prevent problems for both buyers and sellers.

Depending on the value or importance of the pieces being shipped, you may wish to consider using plastic boxes (Tupperware, etc.) as your interior containers after bubble wrapping each piece individually. These are much less likely to be crushed if the parcel receives rough handling in shipment.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
majority of it is in perfect condition

Good. My valuation is based on most being in perfect condition.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what about the few that are clarice cliff

I thought those were included in the numbers you gave me. Are they additional pieces? If so, tell me what additional pieces are by Cliff.

As you may know, Cliff designed this pattern "Rural Scenes" for Wilkinson.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
some are signed by clarice, 4 small plates and 2 cups are hers and his are now 4 cups 1 with a hairline crack, 10 dinner plates and 2 with cracks on the back not major though, 11 bowls, 1 gravy boat, 1 creamer, 1 milk and one other small jug, 1 big bowl with a chip in it, 1 bowl with lid 1 plate, 9 saucers and one oval plate

Are any of these included in the first numbers you gave me? in other words, are you telling me that these new numbers include items that have the Cliff mark and those that do not have the Cliff mark?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i broke down what was hers and now his

So these new numbers are Cliff only?

Then I need to revalue the ones that are not Cliff? Give me the numbers that are not Cliff.

Please be aware that those with the Cliff mark and those without it are valued the same.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cliff has 2 cup and 4 small plates that were in with aj wilkinson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wilkinson now has 4 cups 1 with slight crack, 10 plates two with cracks on the back but no major cracks, 11 bowls, 1 gravy boat, 1 milker, 1 creamer, 1 smaller jug, 1 big bowl with a chip on the rim, 1 bowl with lid, 1 small plate, 9 saucers, 9 bread and butter plates and 1 oval plate
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you tell me the worth in aud please as i live in australia

Understood.

Again, the Clarice Cliff designed this pattern for Wilkinson in the 1930s. Cliff did not decorate the pieces so the value for Cliff pieces is the same as those without the Cliff mark. Those without the Cliff mark were made a bit later, probably in the 40s.

The retail value is US Dollars is $1400-1700. In current AUD, that would be 1783-2165 AUD.

Porcelain china is not selling well now so the value may be lower than you had hoped.

I truly wish I had better news.

Postive, 5 stars, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any chance you might know anything about the thing i brought at it was old and i like old things

I am not sure what you are talking about but please know I am not allowed to value another piece in this one single question.

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate new question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your new question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

Positive please on this one here. Use the 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

Thank you so much for the positives!!!

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser