Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique credenza/ buffet. It has no markings. I…

I have an antique...

I have an antique credenza/ buffet. It has no markings. I was told it came from Texas and is over 100 years old. I can't seem to find anything similar in shape. It is flat in front with rounded sides.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Can I send a picture?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Pictures would be great.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. There also may be an +Add Files option.

.

If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Here are some pics
20180310_214936.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_215005.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_215018.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_215032.jpg2018031...jpg20180310_215050.jpg2018031...jpg

Hi. Thank you for the pictures. That looks great.

.

That looks like an Early 20th century English sideboard/buffet with a bit of a foreign influence. The curved sides isn't entirely unique, but something you usually find. It actually has a bit of a mix of married styles. It looks like it features various woods as well. The bottom is more of a William and Mary style with what looks like walnut. The frame of the piece looks more like your traditional, sturdy English oak. The door panels look a bit more more like quartersawn oak. Some call it tiger's oak because of the striping.

.

It has exposed metal accents that are meant to resemble hardware. The drawer pulls look like brass. They have a neat, almost art deco look to them. The door panels feature a bit of a rosette design and your side pieces have carved floral scrolls. Those floral scrolls were also stained to make the design stand out against the piece. The bottom features a William and Mary style with turned legs.

.

It's a very nice piece and looks to be in excellent condition. In that shape, it should be worth about $800 to $1000.

.

On your tiered table, it has a Mahogany Assocation Inc. label. That label was found on pieces made from about 1936 to the mid 1950s. It's a red label, which means it's made of solid genuine mahogany, not a veneer. The number 123 indicates your piece was made by Imperial Furniture. Imperial was based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan and were in business from about 1903 to 1954.

.

They mostly made tables; everything from coffee tables to dining tables.

.

Your 3 tiered table should date to about the 1940s. It has splayed legs with what looks like claw feet. Given the condition, it should be worth about $250 to $300.

.

The prices really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell them. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great day.
.
~Diana

.

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Thank you! You've been very helpful!!

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. If you need anything else just let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana