Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Need an age and value on this heavenly silver bowl please.

For Glenda, Need an age and...
For Glenda,
Need an age and value on this heavenly silver bowl please. Measures 12” across and a little over 2.5” tall. In immaculate condition except for 2 tiny worn black spots. Appears to be ginkgo leaves.
3/11/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning

It is hard to read the name on the mark, can you tell me what it says. This is beautiful.

Martele

Hello

This is an Oval Gorham Martele Sterling Silver bowl with Art Nouveau border, these were commonly called center piece bowls, they often appeared in the presence of Ferns, and were sometimes known as Fern Bowls,. This was created in 1905.

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Bowl, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $9,500.00-10,000.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $10,000.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $10,000.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Thank you for the rating it is much appreciated, hope you have a great evening, if you need anything else feel free asking for "Glenda "

Glenda